Service Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Got a service call the other day. Lady calls and said her husband had replaced a faulty three way switch but light still did not work. So he replaces the one on the other end. Guess what, it still doesn’t work, will I come and fix it. I pull the first switch and the feed wire is connected to one of the traveler terminals. Reversed this, put switch back in box. Light don’t work. Went to the other end it gets worse. Travelers connected to correct terminals but wire to light connected to switch grounding terminal! Get everything straightened out, collect my service call and leave. 20 minutes and everybody’s happy. Nice to get an easy one once in a while.:cool:

Last edited:

bphgravity

One could make a very good living simply off resetting gfci's the home owner is certain doesn't exist, explaining how half-switched receptalces work when the homeowner is convinced the receptacle doesn't work nor does the switch on the wall, and replacing light bulbs in fixtures the home claims just suddenly stopped working...

JohnE

bphgravity said:
One could make a very good living simply replacing light bulbs in fixtures the home claims just suddenly stopped working...

Just came from one where owner said "lights go on and off at will both foyer and up hall".

Well foyer had socket which was falling apart, but 2nd floor hall was just a blown bulb.

Jljohnson

If I had a dollar for every GFI I have walked a customer to over the phone, I'd have at least $500.00. I have more than that in my pocket from the ones that INSIST there is no GFI receptacle in the garage of there less than 10 year old home. Those customers get the 5 minute re-set job that costs the a minimum 1-hour billing. Expensive lessons but they do not call back with the same problem ever again. Most do call when they need something else done since I try to save them the money on the GFI call and (whether they admit it outloud or not) they know I did try to help them over the phone at no charge.
Jim

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Jljohnson said:
If I had a dollar for every GFI I have walked a customer to over the phone, I'd have at least $500.00.

Hmmm. How many would that be?

I have more than that in my pocket from the ones that INSIST there is no GFI receptacle in the garage of there less than 10 year old home. Those customers get the 5 minute re-set job that costs the a minimum 1-hour billing. Expensive lessons but they do not call back with the same problem ever again. Most do call when they need something else done since I try to save them the money on the GFI call and (whether they admit it outloud or not) they know I did try to help them over the phone at no charge.
Jim

Word!

bikeindy

Had the same thing almost just a week ago but the switches were single pole and the hot feed and switch legs were connected to the ground screw. changed 3 bulbs for a lady who thought her photo cell was bad. turned a breaker on for a guy who said I am sure they are all on. If I could find enough of these people I would be very wealthy doing very little work. I have talk many people thruogh there trouble on the phone at no charge but they have always called me for bigger things.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
My favorite is the switched receptacle. HO has no idea such a thing exists. They have a had a switch that doesn't seem to control anything - so they never touch it. A guest comes and throws the switch and the receptacle quits working. You try to talk them thru this on the phone, but they insist their house is not that way.

You show up, flip a switch, collect the minimum.

Mark

I used to talk the customers into reseting their breakers gfis, over the phone too, then I realized I can't pay for my 2005 Porsche Turbo by being nice over the phone. So now I schedule them for a quick call. When I get there I also replace the good gfi & good breaker with a new one & let them think it wasn't something stupid like reseting it. This way they are not embarrassed to their spouses either.
They always call me back anyway too, but I did make the money while I can.

Mike03a3

77401 said:
. . . now I schedule them for a quick call. When I get there I also replace the good gfi & good breaker with a new one & let them think it wasn't something stupid like reseting it. . . .
So, basically, you make a living stealing from the stupid?

GUNNING

I do the GFCI dance with my costomers on the phone also. The Laundry room, powder room or bath room, Garage, outside receptacle or panel dosey doe. Most find it and I always get an ataboy for my efforts. I even get referals from these folks. However, nice guys do finish last.
I like the replace the breaker or gfci idea because the other thing I have missgivings on is why was the GFCI tripped in the first place? DO I have a duty to find the ground fault if it wants to be found? Am I going into someplace that has been "flipped" by Joe Realestate Tycoon and finding an opportunity? I may have to reevaluate the press the button and thank you very much routine.

Mike03a3 said:
So, basically, you make a living stealing from the stupid?
Prove to me that the GFI "was not" defective and next time it may not trip & could kill someone. Prove to me the breaker wasn't defective & next time may not trip & may burn the house down. Having a laid back attitude about working, making a service call, or charging a customer that calls you because he trust your expertise, just to be a good old boy is not a good business practice.
While changing out the breaker or gfi, I sometimes can find something majorly wrong & end up saving the customer big money!
All I can advise is take the call! Its your business! Unless its a GFI you installed don't tell them how to reset it. Make the money & donate it to charity, if you need to feel better about it.:D

Just got this call...."my plugs are not getting full power in my bedroom, the top half works fine but the bottom doesn't, I'm scared it could be a fire hazard"
Its one block away from me.
Its a 5 year old custom $1.8 million home. new homeowner found my sticker on the breaker panel.
Guess what? I am going over ther to meet my new customers and charge them for showing them the wall switch(s)
You never now they might have something else to show me or tho have done when I get there.

JohnE

77401 said:
I used to talk the customers into reseting their breakers gfis, over the phone too, then I realized I can't pay for my 2005 Porsche Turbo by being nice over the phone. So now I schedule them for a quick call. When I get there I also replace the good gfi & good breaker with a new one & let them think it wasn't something stupid like reseting it. This way they are not embarrassed to their spouses either.

I wonder if your Porsche mechanic uses the same tactics.;)

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
77401 said:
:prove to me that the GFI "was not" defective and next time it may not trip & could kill someone.
You could use that same reasoning to rip out every receptacle and piece of wire in the entire house. That doesn't make it right.

Steve

satcom

Quote "Prove to me that the GFI "was not" defective and next time it may not trip"

That is why you make the service call, what you may think, is helping, or saving the customer money, may very well cost them much more.

I wonder, if it could be an arcing circuit, before the GFCI, ready to burn ? or some other problem.

Mike03a3

77401 said:
Prove to me that the GFI "was not" defective and next time it may not trip & could kill someone. Prove to me the breaker wasn't defective & next time may not trip & may burn the house down.

Hey, I don't need to prove it wasn't defective. YOU said the GFCI and breaker were good.
77401 said:
When I get there I also replace the good gfi & good breaker with a new one . . .

satcom

Quote "I\'m just an electrical engineer, not an electrician"

Do you have experience, with residential service work ?, and do you understand why he would change, what may be a good GFCI ?

larryl

77401 said:

this is a smart business man,,good for you!,,enjoy your Porsche Turbo,you deserve it,
i do the same thing, and totally enjoy my 2000 harley,fatboy,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.