Service calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

splinetto

mikeames said:
I dont think that is a bad price. Again material time, and professionalism.

No holes right??? Or if there are you fix them.
Thats a lot of work to retro fit 8 cans in. I guess I should ask did you have access from above? I think my shop charges 140 per can. We install 1104 ICR lightolier most of the time.
There was attic space however wa did it on the hottest day of the year...That didnt help .. we got there as early as we could and were out of the attic at 10...well my cub was.. I was up and down showing him what to do and doing the measuring and cutting

celtic

Here's my set-up...use it for many different applictions:

Rotozip (I recommend a CORDED model...I've burnt out too many cordless models)
RZ10tool_RZ_pd.jpg

Circle Cutter ~ Rotozip #CRCT1
CRCT1_pd.jpg

Vacuum attachment ~ Roto-zip #RZVAC1
RZVAC1_RZ_pd.jpg

Vacuum ~ Dewalt DC-500 Corded/cordless
DC500_1.gif

SWEET

No mess...no clean-up...done

macmikeman

Your boss charges 80 an hour for two men...... hmmm. Wanna earn brownie points with your boss? Turn him onto to this forum. I don't know what his costs are, or how much you get paid, but my bet is that subtract for both items his "profit" is miniscule, and his risk is still risk.

mdshunk

macmikeman said:
Your boss charges 80 an hour for two men...... hmmm.
I noticed that too. I know there are some construction-focused EC's in my area that sometimes take on smaller work for dirt cheap just to keep the guys busy between the bigger projects. I sorta figured maybe that's what might have been going on there. Nothing wrong with that, in my opinion. In fact, there's a certain wisdom in it.

mdshunk

inspector23 said:
How much did the permit cost?:grin:
You might be assuming too much. In my neck of the woods, that sort of work doesn't require a permit, and I know of other states and areas that are the same way. I know Washington state has a "minor tag" program, which is pretty neat. I wish more states had something like that.

LawnGuyLandSparky

It costs $350.00 to get a locksmith out to install a new deadbolt. Your customer got off easy.

I think the problem, more so now than ever, is that common, high-volume consumer products like hi-hats are now dirt cheap, and people assume that labor will be too.

If she chose 8 x $175.00 brass trimmed low-voltage eyeballs instead, the labor would pale in comparison to the material and nobody would blink an eye.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
I recently did 8 Lightolier 6" cans in a basement (didn't have to patch my holes). $1140 total with standard baffle trim.

Mark

paul

I recently installed 6 cut-in cans for a friend of mine, and all I got paid was store bought cardboard pizza and a 6-pack of beer. I'm thinking I need to up my buddy-rate. :cool:

jetlag

steep bill

steep bill

I think I should move a little more north, my bill would have been for me and helper 48 per X 6 = 288 plus 110 mtl = 398 and they usually moan and groan when I give them the bill !

emahler

jetlag said:
I think I should move a little more north, my bill would have been for me and helper 48 per X 6 = 288 plus 110 mtl = 398 and they usually moan and groan when I give them the bill !

nah, i would rather move to where you are...if you can make a profit on LESS than $50/hr for 2 men and no markup on material...sounds like heaven.

up here one man costs more than $50/hr...

where are you anyway? and do they have real electricity or just a generator to feed the town?

splinetto

macmikeman said:
Your boss charges 80 an hour for two men...... hmmm. Wanna earn brownie points with your boss? Turn him onto to this forum. I don't know what his costs are, or how much you get paid, but my bet is that subtract for both items his "profit" is miniscule, and his risk is still risk.
No it is $80 per man per hour

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
jetlag said:

GEES!!! IF I need work done in my I house Ill call you instead of do it myself. Ill watch. :)

jetlag

more to watch

more to watch

mikeames said:
GEES!!! IF I need work done in my I house Ill call you instead of do it myself. Ill watch. :)

ITs 60 per hour if you watch and 75 if you help! just kidding , I only pay the helper 10 but with gas prices I am going to have to go to 60 for both of us .

bikeindy

splinetto said:
I am wondering what most people charge for a ser call. Lets say 8 cans cut in and tied into and 2 existing lights. My apprentice and myself took a total of 6 hrs to get them all in... What would you or your shop charge? It cost the lady $859, about $100 a can, I was just wondering what other people charge.

I would have charged $680.00 material included but would have been done in about 3 hours with that job and off to the next. I think one trip into the attic for about 5 minutes is all you should have needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.