Short Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The electrician just called, "one of his employees did this and is now fired." That is not the first time I have heard that common phrase. It's always those employees.
The one-man show, on the other hand, never has anyone to blame. :cool:

hurk27

NEC 2005 is used here. The liquid tight runs to PVC back to service panel at house. The neutrals and grounds had been separated on different buss bars. This panel is the form of disconnect on shore for residential dock. We require a four wire system on multiple circuits, 3 wire on single circuit. The electrician just called, "one of his employees did this and is now fired." That is not the first time I have heard that common phrase. It's always those employees.

Just remember he who holds the license is the same person who is responsible and liable, it is this person who should be checking the quality of his workers work, I did this for the company I was working for many years, saying that an employee is at fault is just passing the buck, he is still responsible, and since he can't control his employees then the state or local board should control him, to make it more worth his while to check his employees work.
There is no excuse to ever allow a subordinate under your control to ever do work like this, the fact there was no ground return path, and the fact that this was a panel feeding circuits for a very dangerous area around water, is enough reason to supend his license, and maybe some continued education before returning it after a set time, this should be reviewed at the highest level it takes!
Think of it this way what if this guy goes and does this again, but this time he kills a child or maybe 2 or 3 who run to help the first one, letting this go will not do the public justist, and would be no differant then a drunk driver getting his driver license back only to do it again.
Ok I'll stop ranting:mad:

hotwire1955

NJ State Board of Electrical Contractors would get a letter listing the violation, and any future inspections the contractor would be on site taking off every cover opening every box & Rough inspections would not be fun.

mcclary's electrical

Just remember he who holds the license is the same person who is responsible and liable, it is this person who should be checking the quality of his workers work, I did this for the company I was working for many years, saying that an employee is at fault is just passing the buck, he is still responsible, and since he can't control his employees then the state or local board should control him, to make it more worth his while to check his employees work.
There is no excuse to ever allow a subordinate under your control to ever do work like this, the fact there was no ground return path, and the fact that this was a panel feeding circuits for a very dangerous area around water, is enough reason to supend his license, and maybe some continued education before returning it after a set time, this should be reviewed at the highest level it takes!
Think of it this way what if this guy goes and does this again, but this time he kills a child or maybe 2 or 3 who run to help the first one, letting this go will not do the public justist, and would be no differant then a drunk driver getting his driver license back only to do it again.
Ok I'll stop ranting:mad:

You're absolutely right. Here is a perfect example of such an accident caused by no permanently constructed path for fault current to get back to service panel. :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQiMr5Xm2sU

This idiot should be hung out to dry. This is dangerous, You had enough brains to wonder how he got the 4th wire in the conduit in under an hour, if his employees ACTUALLY did this, he should have had enough brains to question and investigate, just like you did. I bet he did it himself, not an employee, or he himself would have questioned it.

Jim W in Tampa

NEC 2005 is used here. The liquid tight runs to PVC back to service panel at house. The neutrals and grounds had been separated on different buss bars. This panel is the form of disconnect on shore for residential dock. We require a four wire system on multiple circuits, 3 wire on single circuit. The electrician just called, "one of his employees did this and is now fired." That is not the first time I have heard that common phrase. It's always those employees.

And if you see this so called man on a another job of his he will give you some story about him giving him another chance cause he has 2 dogs to feed.
Action is up to you alone to push it or drop the ball. I sure would never trust him again.

Status
Not open for further replies.