Shower Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

Here's a similar one:

shower4.jpg

480sparky

chris kennedy said:
Your water heater is in your shower enclosure? Mine is in a utility closet.

He's probably thinking about the small on-demand units you see under the sinks in many commercial applications..... the faucet on the sink is the only hot water use in the building.

normbac

ryan_618 said:
Aside from the open splice, how is this different than any electric water heater?
Well for starters barefoot, wet, standing in a wet location turning on and off the wet disco with spliced wet taped 240 volt conductors a knuckle away seems a tad bit more dangerous

mpoulton

ryan_618 said:
Aside from the open splice, how is this different than any electric water heater?

No EGC to the unit, no grounded metal pipe to the unit, no fault current path whatsoever -- except through the water and the shower occupant. Word is that many of these units actually use bare elements immersed in the water flow, and rely on the grounded conductor being on the shower-head end of the element, as well as the geometry of the element and its enclosure, to prevent shock. Not a design or installation I want to trust - but I saw them all over in Guatemala.

iwire

Staff member
ryan_618 said:

Thanks for asking what I was thinking. :cool:

I think the answer is simply 'It's not how we do things here in the USA so it must be wrong'

dbuckley

mdshunk said:
Here's a similar one:

shower4.jpg

Now that switch looks like the size of switch used exclusively in the UK, in fact it looks like a member of the old style MK Logic range, and the fitment of the switch in that position is very much against the regulations. It should either be outside of the shower room altogether, or is a ceiling mounted switch with a pull cord.

A nice photo.

peter d

iwire said:
Thanks for asking what I was thinking. :cool:

I think the answer is simply 'It's not how we do things here in the USA so it must be wrong'

So when are you going to install a knife switch and taped splices in your shower? ;)

normbac

quogueelectric said:
The main problem is that people think that they will live forever.

actually they were clueless to the safety issues with this until I said something. They are poor and if it needs fixin they call uncle hack to fix it. He is clueless about electrical.

quogueelectric said:
The main problem is that people think that they will live forever.
I know I won't live forever, but I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep, like my Grandpa. Not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car. :roll:

The point is we can do simple things to prolong life while we're here. I'm not talking about wrapping the playground in bubble wrap or anything crazy, just eliminating possible hazards like this!:cool:

electricalperson

normbac said:
actually they were clueless to the safety issues with this until I said something. They are poor and if it needs fixin they call uncle hack to fix it. He is clueless about electrical.
my grandpa used to fix everything no matter what it was. one day he would be a carpenter and next week he would be fixing the electrical problems

if duct tape cant fix it, it was never ment to be fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.