Sick and tired of constant code changing year after year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wadzii

New User
Occupation
Inspector
at least you don't have to remember to build to 2 different codes.. Here in NC, due to lobbying by the home builders association the residential code cant change until 2025, so until then all residential is done using 2017 code + NC amendments. Commercial however finally moved to the 2020 code last October.. on top of 2 rounds of amendments. Makes my job as an inspector quite difficult.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
at least you don't have to remember to build to 2 different codes.. Here in NC, due to lobbying by the home builders association the residential code cant change until 2025, so until then all residential is done using 2017 code + NC amendments. Commercial however finally moved to the 2020 code last October.. on top of 2 rounds of amendments. Makes my job as an inspector quite difficult.
Washington state skipped the 2008 NEC. It was hard on electricians and inspectors especially because the 2008 NEC had significant changes on AFCIs, and you had to know 2 code cycle changes

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
Washington state skipped the 2008 NEC. It was hard on electricians and inspectors especially because the 2008 NEC had significant changes on AFCIs, and you had to know 2 code cycle changes

Wisconsin skipped the 2014 and delayed the adoption of the 2017 NEC for one and two family dwellings. So for a while we used the 2011 for one and two family and the 2017 for everything else. With state amendments for both.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I'd be OK if WA didn't go 2023 for a while we're just now getting compliant 2020 service equipment and 2pole gfi breaker manufacturing is finally catching up. There once was a time I didn't have to check 4 places for materials just to wire a small house.

kwired

Electron manager
We may possibly end up skipping 2020 NEC here. To get it changed it has to be put on a bill and passed by state legislators. Past couple years was a bill for it but was too many other things that got higher priority by the legislature and never got to this bill during the session. I'd almost bet next years session there is a bill to change to 2023 NEC, and if passed it will result in us completely skipping 2020.

We did have some opposition by homebuilders associations and such back when 2008 code came up and it resulted in not passing that code into law in usual fashion and we ended up not being on 2008 code for very long before they adopted the 2011.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
... To get it changed it has to be put on a bill and passed by state legislators. Past couple years was a bill for it but was too many other things that got higher priority by the legislature and never got to this bill during the session. ...

One of my biggest pet peeves is a lot of time & effort being invested in unproductive activity.
Why not write ONE common-sense bill saying that a job is governed by whatever NEC is current when the permit is issued, instead of requiring the Ledge to come back and do the same thing (or not) every three years?

Anybody want to put together a model-legislation committee, a'la ALEC?

kwired

Electron manager
One of my biggest pet peeves is a lot of time & effort being invested in unproductive activity.
Why not write ONE common-sense bill saying that a job is governed by whatever NEC is current when the permit is issued, instead of requiring the Ledge to come back and do the same thing (or not) every three years?

That is not the problem, If I apply for a permit right now the 2017 is currently what is in effect.

The State Electrical Act here is in state law books, it contains much of the procedures the electrical division must follow, including inspection processes permit applications, liscensing requirements, etc. and basically establishes NFPA70-2017 as the code to be enforced. Now maybe possible to word it in some way to automatically update to newer editions but that may be more challenging as I am not familiar if they can even legally write such a law that basically automatically updates itself.

I think in past it mostly is automatic if there is no opposition to the content of the bill and little time is spent but someone does need to submit the initial bill and it must go through proper proceedings to be passed. Thing is in last couple years there just was so many other bills that got higher priority before the legislative session ended for the year.

ASG

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
NYC is still on 2008 NEC with amendments. We'll probably skip to 2020 whenever the new one is finally adapted.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

Uhhh, doesn't your state already do that? NJ does.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
They just adapt the newest NEC without having to have a new bill/law?
WA state has a law that requires the state electrical dept to get a copy of the current electrical code and recommend changes to the electrical board. The e board asks for suggestions on changes from stakeholders, they are voted on and adopted. It’s a very open process. Many changes to to fix mistakes in the NEC for the state code are later adopted into the NEC

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
They just adapt the newest NEC without having to have a new bill/law?
No, NJ inspects to the code the project was reviewed under. I thought that was the point of your comment; see what I highlighted in my response. Adoption of the NEC is, of course, by legislative action for each change, although they don't always adopt every code as it comes along.

P.S. OK, now I see what you meant. My bad.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I'd be OK if WA didn't go 2023 for a while we're just now getting compliant 2020 service equipment and 2pole gfi breaker manufacturing is finally catching up. There once was a time I didn't have to check 4 places for materials just to wire a small house.
WA is delaying adoption of the 2023 Code by at least 6 months. Normally the code revision process started in Sept before the code year, but the revision process has not yet been announced.

Last edited:

ASG

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
WA state has a law that requires the state electrical dept to get a copy of the current electrical code and recommend changes to the electrical board. The e board asks for suggestions on changes from stakeholders, they are voted on and adopted. It’s a very open process. Many changes to to fix mistakes in the NEC for the state code are later adopted into the NEC
Does it say in that law when the newest NEC has to be adopted by (like 1 year after it is released or something like that)?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Does it say in that law when the newest NEC has to be adopted by (like 1 year after it is released or something like that)?
No date on adoption. Typically starts in Sep before code year (Sep 2022 for 2023 NEC) and new code with state changes is adopted July of code year. Last code cycle there many issues with GFCIs on HVAC equipment for everyone, so perhaps waiting will let Issues be identified for state changes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.