Sidework

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

We've all done it, and I've certainly done my share of it. I'm not proud of it either considering the damage I know it's done to the industry. I'm not going to tell anyone what to do with their lives, as I know the old saying "People have to eat."

That said, think about why the electrical industry has the reputation it does and why people will pay tons of money to get their car fixed or to replace a toilet, but when it comes to electrical work, the expectation is that it can and will be done cheaply. Sidework, as well as many EC's who sell themselves way short, is one of the reasons for this mentality.

So the next time you're out side jobbing, just think about what it will do to our industry. I know, the wad of cash may be nice, but it may be indirectly holding you back from getting a raise, a van, an extra week of vacation, or any number of other benefits.

The bar for is set pretty low right now....let's try to raise it in the new year!

electricalperson

ive noticed most of my side work comes from people who cant get an EC to there house. i do sidework all the time and i see nothing wrong with it. im a journeyman electrician and i should be free to work when i want too. in my opinion only thing hurting the industry is the unlicesend/handymen doing electrical work.

peter d

electricalperson said:
i i do sidework all the time and i see nothing wrong with it. im a journeyman electrician and i should be free to work when i want too. in my opinion only thing hurting the industry is the unlicesend/handymen doing electrical work.

In my area, you would be considered part of the unlicensed crowd by the authorities. ;) You need a contractors license to do electrical work here.

electricalperson

peter d said:
In my area, you would be considered part of the unlicensed crowd by the authorities. ;) You need a contractors license to do electrical work here.
i live in massachusetts and any licensed electrician can do work or start a company and pull as many permits as they want

satcom

peter d said:
We've all done it, and I've certainly done my share of it. I'm not proud of it either considering the damage I know it's done to the industry. I'm not going to tell anyone what to do with their lives, as I know the old saying "People have to eat."

That said, think about why the electrical industry has the reputation it does and why people will pay tons of money to get their car fixed or to replace a toilet, but when it comes to electrical work, the expectation is that it can and will be done cheaply. Sidework, as well as many EC's who sell themselves way short, is one of the reasons for this mentality.

So the next time you're out side jobbing, just think about what it will do to our industry. I know, the wad of cash may be nice, but it may be indirectly holding you back from getting a raise, a van, an extra week of vacation, or any number of other benefits.

The bar for is set pretty low right now....let's try to raise it in the new year!

That sick excuse of "People have to eat." is nonsense, no one is stopping any from eating, they can work for any legal company, and earn a living, or work in some other trade until they are licensed where required, But they deside to break the laws, and then give a lane excuse.

I never did side work or even thought of it as an option, worked for a flooring contractor, until I was licensed and saved the money to go in business.

peter d

electricalperson said:
i live in massachusetts and any licensed electrician can do work or start a company and pull as many permits as they want

True, MA does allow that by law, but I would not not have know that because you did not specify your location in your profile. MA is a special case, and it's the only state that I'm aware of that allows journeymen to pull permits, but you must have insurance to do so, and you are only limited to one apprentice and you cannot call yourself an "Electrical Contractor," only an "Electrician" unless you get a master's license.

electricalperson

peter d said:
True, MA does allow that by law, but I would not not have know that because you did not specify your location in your profile. MA is a special case, and it's the only state that I'm aware of that allows journeymen to pull permits, but you must have insurance to do so.
i dont have insurance and i still pull permits. just need the HO's signature under where it says they know i dont have insurance

electricalperson

most of my sidework is either small remodels or troubleshooting. i feel pretty confident in my work. if i start doing bigger jobs then ill get insurance and probably start my own company

peter d

electricalperson said:
i dont have insurance and i still pull permits. just need the HO's signature under where it says they know i dont have insurance

I used to work for a MA based company and I was under the impression that you need to have insurance to get permits as a journeyman. I stand corrected.

satcom

electricalperson said:
most of my sidework is either small remodels or troubleshooting. i feel pretty confident in my work. if i start doing bigger jobs then ill get insurance and probably start my own company

Let me understand this, You only follow the laws you like, and only big jobs can injure and disable people , oh ya small job little fire right.

Your dead wrong on insurance, even if you just visit the home you need coverages in most states with license and insurance requirements.

Your comfidence is tested, and if you pass you earn the right to hold a license, If your state requires a license.

peter d

electricalperson said:
ive noticed most of my side work comes from people who cant get an EC to there house. i do sidework all the time and i see nothing wrong with it. im a journeyman electrician and i should be free to work when i want too.

As I said in the beginning, I'm not going to tell anyone what they should do. I'm only trying to get people to think about this issue, because I am just as guilty as the next.

I know that doing sidework (including what I've done) has helped the residential electrical industry slide into the gutter. :(

growler

electricalperson said:

If you don't have insurance do you pay taxes? On the extra income.

growler

electricalperson said:
i pay taxes on the extra income.

Then get yourself some insurance and you are running a part time business and not doing side work. You may even come out better on those taxes. Lots of things to write off once you are running a business.

growler

electricalperson said:
so how much insurance should i get? and whats a good company to get it from?

Shop around in your area and see who will insure you the cheapest. Standard in liability is 500K or 1M for a small contractor. There is not much difference in price. I use Zurich for liability.

If you already have good health insurance at work you can get away without workman's comp.

For no more work than you will do part time the liability probably want cost over $700-$800 a year. You will make that back on one job and it's a business expense. Could save you a lot of trouble.

electricalperson

growler said:
Shop around in your area and see who will insure you the cheapest. Standard in liability is 500K or 1M for a small contractor. There is not much difference in price. I use Zurich for liability.

If you already have good health insurance at work you can get away without workman's comp.

For no more work than you will do part time the liability probably want cost over $700-$800 a year. You will make that back on one job and it's a business expense. Could save you a lot of trouble.
thank you ill look into it more

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child

Now you know a 1-3 man show here doesn't require worker's comp, unless the GC's insurer specifically requires it. As the business owner you're exempt anyway unless you want to be covered, in which case the price goes ^^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.