Single receptacle for microwave / range hood? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doc12

I have installed a dedicated 20 amp circuit for the microwave / range hood. the inspector is requesting I change out the duplex 20 amp rated receptacle to a single 20. I cannot find anything in the 2014 code to see why I have to change it. Suggestions?

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
I have installed a dedicated 20 amp circuit for the microwave / range hood. the inspector is requesting I change out the duplex 20 amp rated receptacle to a single 20. I cannot find anything in the 2014 code to see why I have to change it. Suggestions?

Ya do a lot of business in the AHJ area this inspector is in? If so, just change it, makes the 'spector feel like he is important.

Save your arguments for something that has a higher $$ value or time involved.

Heck, I once even changed 20 outlets to TR (in a woodworking shop attached to a home) at AHJ interpretation, easier to change than fight - somebody might buy the house in the future and change the shop to a day care center ya know!

user 100

Change it out to a single and get on with your life. The line of thinking w/ this issue is that since its a dedicated circuit, then only that microwave can be plugged in if its a single 5-20-the single rec "ensures" that only the one appliance will be plugged in.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Does the Micro nameplate call for a 20 amp circuit.
Tell him to show you a residential micro that needs a 20 amp flavored outlet.
Don't these inspector no it alls have better things to do.

I would not change it just because he said so, I would ask for a code citation.
I kindly challenge this nonsense.
I aint afraid of no inspector.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is it fastened in place? Can it be considered a SABC, if not doesn't 210.23(A) apply?

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Is it fastened in place? Can it be considered a SABC, if not doesn't 210.23(A) apply?

I had an argument with an inspector over that article with my dishwasher/disposal circuit. I said, there are ONLY "fastened in place utilization equipment" plugged into this circuit, the dishwasher and the disposal plugged into a duplex receptacle, therefore it doesn't apply.

I explained it to him three times. He let it fly, but he didn't agree. To me that means, "I can't admit I'm wrong, but I can't prove otherwise."

In this case, if the microwave is over 10A, the inspector may have a point, because somebody could plug in anything not fastened in place and the microwave would become a violation.

The weird thing is, I've been putting the range hood on the SABC all these years because I had it in my head that it was one of things that had an exception to 210.52(B)(2). I swear I saw it in there! And I've never been called on it even though it's usually pretty obvious that it is what I had done. Am I going crazy?

user 100

I found this white paper article from Legrand. Bottom of page 3 says it must be a single. Wonder if the inspector is using this to bust me!
Anyway, I agree. I am going to change it just to make him feel like a hero.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...gDM1Nxno4RTymOA&bvm=bv.99261572,d.cWw&cad=rja

I think that page 3 of that white paper only clarifies that if you are using a single receptacle on a 20 amp bc, it must be a 5-20 instead of a single 5-15 if it will be the ​only receptacle on the circuit. However, code permits you to install a single duplex 5-15 on a 20 amp bc because a duplex counts as 2 receptacles.

I see nothing that would prevent one from installing a duplex 5-20 in your situation. As for not fighting the inspector, good for you. In this business, as harebrained as inspectors get sometimes, its best to pick your battles.

Last edited:

480sparky

Somebody might plug in a 6-outlet power strip into a single receptacle as well.

How does one prevent that? Install a twist-lock and change the factory cord on the microwave?

As for 'save your energy for the big battle' attitude, if you're going to let an inspector misinterpret a code on things that will cost you a little money to comply with, they will certainly misinterpret another code that WILL cost you big money. So stop empowering and enabling them.

user 100

How does one prevent that? Install a twist-lock and change the factory cord on the microwave?

As for 'save your energy for the big battle' attitude, if you're going to let an inspector misinterpret a code on things that will cost you a little money to comply with, they will certainly misinterpret another code that WILL cost you big money. So stop empowering and enabling them.

There is nothing wrong with fighting an overzealous inspector, but imo, we need to be real. The price difference 5-20 duplex and a single 5-20 is usually neglible and depending on brand a single 5-20 is actually cheaper in a lot of cases-there isn't a major loss. Remember these guys can fail you over something like this and I just don't see the necessity in fighting it-it isn't worth the time or aggravation spent. While we're out there arguing over what amounts to pocket change with an idiot, we could be out doing another job earning more money.

kwired

Electron manager
Does the Micro nameplate call for a 20 amp circuit.
Tell him to show you a residential micro that needs a 20 amp flavored outlet.
Don't these inspector no it alls have better things to do.

I would not change it just because he said so, I would ask for a code citation.
I kindly challenge this nonsense.
I aint afraid of no inspector.
It would have to be over 1800 watts to need more then a 15 amp circuit. I don't know if I have ever seen one over 1800 watts.

I agree, on the stop enabling them. If they are a decent person they will appreciate you teaching them something, if they are not a decent person, may as well teach them anyway as you will likely never have a good relation with them.

210.23(A)(2) allows what the OP originally installed:

(2) Utilization Equipment Fastened in Place.

The total rating of utilization equipment fastened in place, other than luminaires, shall not exceed 50 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating where lighting units, cord-and-plugconnected utilization equipment not fastened in place, or both, are also supplied.

OP's microwave exceeds 50 percent of the branch circuit rating, but the circuit does not supply any lighting or other utilization equipment either.

Can someone plug in an additional load, certainly. unless it is just a phone charger or some other limited load they may find it doesn't play well on the same circuit as the microwave, and as mentioned they can plug a six way adapter into even a single receptacle and still learn this lesson.

luckylerado

OP's microwave exceeds 50 percent of the branch circuit rating, but the circuit does not supply any lighting or other utilization equipment either.

Can someone plug in an additional load, certainly. unless it is just a phone charger or some other limited load they may find it doesn't play well on the same circuit as the microwave, and as mentioned they can plug a six way adapter into even a single receptacle and still learn this lesson.

So if someone does plug in an additional load, who is violation of 210.23(A)(2)? This installer that put in a duplex recept or the homeowner plugging in his Christmas village on top of the cabinets.

IMO a fastened in place piece of equipment that exceeds 50% must be supplied by a dedicated circuit with a single purpose recept and then must not exceed 80%.

422.16(B)(4) requires a dedicated circuit to a range hood.

kwired

Electron manager
So if someone does plug in an additional load, who is violation of 210.23(A)(2)? This installer that put in a duplex recept or the homeowner plugging in his Christmas village on top of the cabinets.

IMO a fastened in place piece of equipment that exceeds 50% must be supplied by a dedicated circuit with a single purpose recept and then must not exceed 80%.

422.16(B)(4) requires a dedicated circuit to a range hood.

210.23(A)(2) is not violated unless fixed utilization equipment is connected to the same circuit and any single fixed utilization equipment exceeds 50% of the circuit rating.

422.16(B)(4) requires an "individual branch circuit" but doesn't say anything about multioutlet assemblies.

Branch Circuit, Individual.
A branch circuit that supplies only one utilization equipment.

However one is justified in saying a duplex receptacle at this utilization equipment makes it a:

Branch Circuit, General-Purpose.
A branch circuit that supplies two or more receptacles or outlets for lighting and appliances.

Home occupant can still plug in an adapter and run their holiday lighting and it won't really matter to me or the inspector as we likely will be long gone when that happens.

david

change it, makes the 'spector feel like he is important.

Don't these inspector no it alls have better things to do.I kindly challenge this nonsense.

But so many seemed to get tangled up in the "just because I said so" syndrome.

To me that means, "I can't admit I'm wrong, but I can't prove otherwise."

Bottom of page 3 says it must be a single. I am going to change it just to make him feel like a hero.

As for not fighting the inspector, good for you. In this business, as harebrained as inspectors get sometimes, its best to pick your battles.

There is nothing wrong with fighting an overzealous inspector

Take a look at this I found in a recent Micro instructions. View attachment 13038

I wonder in the attachment that was posted if they meant a single grounded rec. when they state a single grounded outlet.

david

How is the inspectors general over all performance in your veiw

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I can tell you this about the picture, that this instructions only apply to the unit they were intended for.

Status
Not open for further replies.