small appliance branch circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Parrish

I found this on the ''sub zero'' website. Mind you they make many different types. But get this. The manufacturers specs does not require a gfci in the line.
Here it is ...

"'The electrical supply should be located within the shaded
area shown in the illustration below. A separate circuit, servicing
only this appliance is required. A ground fault circuit
interrupter (GFCI) is not recommended and may cause
interruption of operation.
Installation must comply with all applicable electrical codes.
ELECTRICAL REQUIREMENTS
Electrical Supply 115 VAC, 60 Hz
Service 15 amp
Receptacle 3-prong grounding-typ""

And I've been installing a 20 amp circuit. Just because some one said it was required. No more though, 15 amps is more then enough.
Recently the manufacturer sent a beautiful large custom Sub Zero for this custom home that I was wiring.
The cord was damaged, right.

So since being in this forum I knew if I done any thing at all to the wiring it would void the warranty and would not be UL approved. Well it was about two months before they needed it any way.

I told them what I just stated above. That I could not work on it. if doing so they would no longer have an intact warranty.
They called the manufacturer and told them what I said. So the manufacturer sent a brand new one out and told them to keep the other one, too.

The carpenter repaired the other one . And now dang, because of me, this kitchen has two 'Sub Zeros. So we had to run another circuit. It was a very large kitchen it had three sinks two dish washers one commercial .
It's got one of those "Big Ass Fans" 12 feet wide in the kitchen. That's their real name for any body that don't know. .''Big Ass Fan''
The kitchen was almost 2000 sq. ft. 18 ft. ceilings through out.

So this fan, if it hung to close to a cabinet or any thing stationary it would wobble. It would take off so to speak. Or get air under its wing... hahahaha.
Any way we had plenty of room. All the switches were packing X10 and RF and were designed to work on which ever the switches brain felt was fastest.

Then we had a master location for all the switches in the house. Plus they work by an app on your phone.
This type of stuff is time consuming. If you bid one keep that in mind. Also they require routine maintenance. Not really routine. Just when they quit working you have to call an electrician to reset them.
The inspectors on the final were over whelmed. All the other trades had one inspector sent out. The electrical sent three at one time. They passed it, because I had already done my own inspection . and it was right. Including the geo thermal heat / ac

iwire

Staff member
If an electrician ran an individual branch circuit to this refrigerator that was a 6 amp load it was a code violation to provide a 15 amp breaker for this unit that would have more closely protected a 6 amp appliance.

Violation of what code section?

kwired

Electron manager
I found this on the ''sub zero'' website. Mind you they make many different types. But get this. The manufacturers specs does not require a gfci in the line.
Here it is ...

"'The electrical supply should be located within the shaded
area shown in the illustration below. A separate circuit, servicing
only this appliance is required. A ground fault circuit
interrupter (GFCI) is not recommended and may cause
interruption of operation.
Installation must comply with all applicable electrical codes.
ELECTRICAL REQUIREMENTS
Electrical Supply 115 VAC, 60 Hz
Service 15 amp
Receptacle 3-prong grounding-typ""

And I've been installing a 20 amp circuit. Just because some one said it was required. No more though, 15 amps is more then enough.

That information is not all that specific and may just mean the cord cap is a 15 amp cord cap, doesn't clearly identify how much the unit draws, if it normally did draw 15 amps you would likely want more then 15 amp overcurrent device - but that is also either a very big fridge or very inefficient.

david

Not making a big deal out of it.

The refrigerator as you well know had to be on one of the two or more 20 amp small appliance branch circuits. You didn?t have any choice, it was a 20 amp branch circuit.

The change took a common sense approach and allowed ( not required) the commonly installed individual branch circuit for the refrigerator to be 15 amp.

When you run other individual branch circuits for specific equipment how do you size the circuit?

kwired

Electron manager

The refrigerator as you well know had to be on one of the two or more 20 amp small appliance branch circuits. You didn?t have any choice, it was a 20 amp branch circuit.

The change took a common sense approach and allowed ( not required) the commonly installed individual branch circuit for the refrigerator to be 15 amp.

When you run other individual branch circuits for specific equipment how do you size the circuit?
I'd expect an appliance that must have a 20 amp circuit to have a 20 amp cord cap, otherwise if it has a 15 amp cord cap it should be fine on either a 15 or 20 amp circuit, at least if it is the only load on the circuit.

iwire

Staff member
If an electrician ran an individual branch circuit to this refrigerator that was a 6 amp load it was a code violation to provide a 15 amp breaker for this unit that would have more closely protected a 6 amp appliance.

Neither am I, I was just wondering what code section you feel would have been violated in your example.

Status
Not open for further replies.