Smoke Detectors in one and two family dwellings

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevkar

Can smoke detectors be fed from the panel with an arc fault breaker? Where do you locate this in the code?

Jim W in Tampa

kevkar said:
Can smoke detectors be fed from the panel with an arc fault breaker? Where do you locate this in the code?

Its required to have 1 smoke in each bedroom.It is an outlet.So since its an outlet in a bedroom it is required to be on afci.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
You can feed them off of the bedroom branch circuit or you can run a seperate circuit. Either one is fine, but as Jim said they are required to be AFCI protected.

Jim W in Tampa

racerdave3 said:
So then how do you wire your smokes in a new house? Do you just have a separate circuit for them and supply it from an AFCI breaker to satisfy the requirement?

You could have dedicated circuit (afci) but by doing so it is still a bedroom circuit simply because it feeds atleast 1 outlet in that bedroom.Most simply feed the smoke from the bedroom circuit.You can have outlets from other rooms on that same bedroom circuit.

Personally i dont like smokes on dedicated circuits.Master bedroom will notice a triped breaker fast.

bphgravity

The NEC does not require smoke alarms in dwellings. Your local building and fire codes will provide this requirement. For example, section R313 of the IRC specifies requirements for smoke alarm installation in dwellings and references the NFPA 72 for specific requirements. See Chapter 11 of that standard.

Jim W in Tampa

kevkar said:
But yes I put the smokes on a circuit by themself and fed it from an afci breaker
As far as nec you did it to code.A few local ahj might not permit it.Think what happens if it trips and nobody is home for a few days.Batteries go dead and now no alert.You could still fix this easy by just putting this circuit on a bedroom afci .Splice them in the panel.And get your $40 breaker back.

JohnJ0906

For some reason, I seen to recall the international electrical code requires residential smokes to be on a circuit with other outlets, but I could be wrong. As Jim and others have said, if the circuit trips, someone will notice, and if the smokes are by themselves, it may not be noticed for a while. (Until the exterminators are called in to get rid of all the crickets that got in the house!):D

Status
Not open for further replies.