Some surprise arc-flash in the house

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
Yes Pierre;
ALL the wiring in the house was replaced.
There were multiple plugs melted to the recetpacles.
The melted material was metal, not plastic.
The entire house was re-wired.

mxslick

Customer had the primary fall onto his residential feed.
The cover of this panel was blown off (it hit the door of the utility room). It also had a dime size hole in it.
A few power cords were melted to the receptacles.

We installed a new service and some new wires throughout.
He had just begun a major renovation (adding a 2nd story when this happened.)
Insurance gave him a helping hand with his 2nd story.

This cord is from his window A/C, it is melted to the receptacle.

I may have posted something about this some time ago, but I am flexing my picture posting skills. And I think these pics can give us all a warning!!

Heck, you can just vac the carbon tracking out of that panel and re-use it.. what are you guys, a bunch of wimps? :D

Seriously, it is amazing how much damage some arc flash can cause..and this pic is a prime reason why I object to panels in bedrooms (allowed by Code, but I think just not in the best idea for safety.)

A few years back on another forum I got into a spirited debate about the reasons why I didn't like panels in bedrooms..and I actually persuaded one member who was difficult to convince of anything to see the light. :)

Glad to hear no one was hurt and the house didn't burn down.

I too love to see electrical destruction pics.. I almost had a job at the POCO here in So Cal, but glad I didn't for two reasons:

One, found out I can't stand heights (so much for bucket truck and climbing);

Two, I'm the guy who, at a pole fire, would let it burn as long as possible, and if I had a stubborn fault, would replace the fuse link with a solid blade to locate it. :D

quogueelectric

Looks similar to a lightning strike service call I had about 30 yrs ago. The cover was blown off the panel and the copper exploded into molten bbs which put burn holes in the hardwood floor all over. This is dirtier it was probably burning longer.

jumper

Nice pics. There is a technical term for the damaged gear. Once it has arc'ed over it can be referred to as "deranged." I use that term in my service write-ups. You know, "Troubleshoot 'no lights', discover main panel deranged, recommend...(fill in the blank)."

I picked up the term "deranged" from the Navy.

Speaking of deranged, that you-tube video is insane! Thanks for the link.

deranged is in the code also:wink:. I cant remember where. something about generators i think. i dont have my code book handy right now.:mad:

jeremysterling

I'm pretty sure that any term you learned in the Navy isn't suitable for any public forum. :rolleyes:

Precisely why I do not tell you what the Navy calls the rolled up canvas wipe that is used to clean carbon off of commutators in the 500 kW motor-generator sets. Hint: Think of a donkey's anatomy.

Status
Not open for further replies.