Splicing Preference

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
If you were splicing 10 sets of 4/c #500 MC cable to 10 sets of 4 #500 XHHW what splicing method/material woould you favor using? I know spec dictates. Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes commonly called a barrel connector. If you have many splices buy a Milwaukee cable stripper. The labor it saves will be paid back in a week.
bbcu050-copper-splice-brown_1.webp

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
Polaris type connectors are certainly nice, but for the quantity the OP is talking about I think the cost savings would be significant.
10 sets of (4) 500 MCM is already going to have a healthy price tag. The Polaris taps would be much quicker. I think the labor savings would more than make up for the cost though.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm no estimator but I would guess that the cost for Polaris style connectors is a little cheaper than a barrel and a cold shrink. However crimp connections are far superior to mechanical connections and are basically idiot proof. Crimp, then cold shrink and your done for the life of the installation. Mechanical connections would also require proper torquing. I'm guessing that the labor cost for either type is similar.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
The cost difference is actually minimal, but the Polaris taps would be much quicker IMO. If you're looking at 40 splices, I could put an Allen key on a torque wrench and have them done rather quickly.

I'm no estimator but I would guess that the cost for Polaris style connectors is a little cheaper than a barrel and a cold shrink. .
I guess that makes sense the more I think about it, for some reason I was thinking of an individual one in one out Polaris rather than a 10-port. By the time you add in 10 cold shrink kits and 10 barrel crimps, I could see it.

synchro

Occupation
EE
I guess that makes sense the more I think about it, for some reason I was thinking of an individual one in one out Polaris rather than a 10-port. By the time you add in 10 cold shrink kits and 10 barrel crimps, I could see it.

One thing about using a multi-port Polaris rather than individual one-in/one-out types is that measuring the current balance between conductors on one side will not give information about the current balance on the other side.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you broke it all down (parts and labor) the Polaris might be a cheaper solution overall but it's a far less reliable connection. Since the OP asked about preference I'm sticking with the crimp connections for making these splices.

And actually thinking about it more now that my brain is running on a few more cylinders (sore and tired this morning, got up at 9:30) .... Would you use individual or multiple Polaris connectors if you were to go that route? OP said 10 sets and I dont think 20 port connectors are available? so if you are a two-port Polaris for each conductor, I can find those for about $45 a piece, cheaper than I thought.

Todd0x1

i cant imagine installing a polaris is quicker than crimping with a powered crimper. Why cold shrink vs heavy wall glue lined heat shrink? little more labor to shrink it but the heatshrink only costs around $1/splice

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
There's something incredibly satisfying admiring a cold shrink insulated butt splice that you have just completed, I go with Rob.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
I would crimp and heatshrink. With Milwaukee cable cutter, cable stripper and crimper, I would estimate about 2-3 minutes splice.

Mark