SPLICING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
When is splicing needed a a runs with the same number and size conductors. I know when circuits are combined etc. But if you has 3 #6's and 1 #10 that ran about 300' with a few 90's would splicing be required or just ther pull boxes? I don't see why you would have to splice unless your wire was short. Thanks.

John120/240

With proper planning no splices should be required. If the wire is shorter than

your conduit, you have serious problems! Some insist on pull boxes every

100ft, not necessary unless job conditions are diffuclt.

rodneee

splicing options

splicing options

i saw your post regarding splicing...the only thing that appeared written on my screen was a big capital "W"...then blank space....if you use any one of the following the letters (a,e,h,i,o,r,u, or y,) after the "W" you can splice them together and make a word provided you use a properly sized wire nut...

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Sometimes spicing is easier than trying to pull in a long run in one piece especially if there a lot of bends and pull points in the run.

growler

When is splicing needed a a runs with the same number and size conductors. I know when circuits are combined etc. But if you has 3 #6's and 1 #10 that ran about 300' with a few 90's would splicing be required or just ther pull boxes? I don't see why you would have to splice unless your wire was short. Thanks.

As stated earlier it may be easier to splice than to make one continuous pull but it's not required. The only thing that will normally prevent the contractor from making such splices is if it's stated in the job specs that the home runs are to be continuous (unspliced ).

I have had to do pulls that were close to a 1000 ft and ran through several pull boxes without splices because that is what the design engineer speced for the job. I'm sure the extra labor cost was calculated into the job cost.

You are allowed 360 degrees of bend in conduit before a pull box is required but not a splice. For industrial work splices are kept more to a minimum than say for commercial or residential.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
As stated earlier it may be easier to splice than to make one continuous pull but it's not required. The only thing that will normally prevent the contractor from making such splices is if it's stated in the job specs that the home runs are to be continuous (unspliced ).

I have had to do pulls that were close to a 1000 ft and ran through several pull boxes without splices because that is what the design engineer speced for the job. I'm sure the extra labor cost was calculated into the job cost.

You are allowed 360 degrees of bend in conduit before a pull box is required but not a splice. For industrial work splices are kept more to a minimum than say for commercial or residential.

Thanks VERY much...great info. Why the extra labor cost into the job. Are longer runs harder to pull? At what footage does it start to become difficult? So the NECA units need ot be adjusted accordingly.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Sometimes spicing is easier than trying to pull in a long run in one piece especially if there a lot of bends and pull points in the run.

Why? Is that because you would be pulling a shorter run. So I guess you would pull a 200-300 feet to a box then continue woth the 2nd half of the run??? I imagine you would splce after the runs are pulled as it would defeat the purpose and reason for the splice. THanks.

growler

Thanks VERY much...great info. Why the extra labor cost into the job. Are longer runs harder to pull? At what footage does it start to become difficult? So the NECA units need ot be adjusted accordingly.

For the type of job that I was thinking about there was considerably more labor involved to make home runs with no splices. For one thing there is a constant change of reels to make sure that there is enough cable for the pull. At times long run of cabel would haved to be pulled past a pull point and re-fed ( reduce stress on cable) and all this while making sure the cable was not damaged. Then the cable was megged after the pull to make sure there were no conductors damaged. If any failed then everything was pulled out and the process started all over again and not just a short damaged section. It's much cheaper to replace a few hundred feet of wire rather than a few thousand.

The simple answer is that it's much easier if you are allowed to splice cables but in the long run there can be fewer problems without splices. If you do have a problem it's easier to replace a short section of cable. It's a design choice.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Why? Is that because you would be pulling a shorter run. So I guess you would pull a 200-300 feet to a box then continue woth the 2nd half of the run??? I imagine you would splce after the runs are pulled as it would defeat the purpose and reason for the splice. THanks.

Because if you don't splice you either need to make it in one continuous pull or you need to pull the conductors out and then feed them back in. It also depends on the size of the conductors.

For example if you have a 400' run with 8-90? bends and a junction box in the middle. I'm pulling 4-500 kcmil conductors, now I can try to make it through in one pull, not likely or I can pull to the center point, pull 200' of 4-500 kcmil conductors out onto the floor and then try to feed them back into the conduit the other way.

If I put my reel of cable at the pull box I pull 200' in one direction, cut it and pull 200' in the other direction. Then I splice them together. Sometimes pulling a load of conductors out and feeding them back in isn't worth saving a splice.

ksmith846

Because if you don't splice you either need to make it in one continuous pull or you need to pull the conductors out and then feed them back in. It also depends on the size of the conductors.

For example if you have a 400' run with 8-90? bends and a junction box in the middle. I'm pulling 4-500 kcmil conductors, now I can try to make it through in one pull, not likely or I can pull to the center point, pull 200' of 4-500 kcmil conductors out onto the floor and then try to feed them back into the conduit the other way.

If I put my reel of cable at the pull box I pull 200' in one direction, cut it and pull 200' in the other direction. Then I splice them together. Sometimes pulling a load of conductors out and feeding them back in isn't worth saving a splice.

What wire size would you consider the maximum you would want to pull out and loop back before you just plan on splicing?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What wire size would you consider the maximum you would want to pull out and loop back before you just plan on splicing?

It really depends on lots of factors, how the conduit was run, what size pull boxes were installed, are there angle pulls involved, can you actually get the reels of cable where you need them, etc. There are so many variables. I've pulled and looped 500's through pull boxes, I would consider that the maximum and it would depend on the conditions of the pull. On vertical riser pulls in a 50 story building we've pulled 750's up about 18 stories at time, chocked them at each vertical support box and then pulled the next 18 stories. Then we would go back and splice them.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

That single "W" in the first post messed this whole thread up!:lol:

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator

THanks.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
So when puling several hundred feet and you get to a pull box you pull a lot fo the ire out onto the floor then continue pulling back into the pipe? THanks

John120/240

Yes at your pull box, you would pull out enough wire to reach the end. Make

sure that you don't get any kinks or knots in wire that is on the floor. Sweep

the area where wire will lay. Walk backwards towars your wire spools (half the

distance to destination). Try to keep wires straight. You don't want a bird's

nest!! Then feed back into your pull box.

Barndog

Yes at your pull box, you would pull out enough wire to reach the end. Make

sure that you don't get any kinks or knots in wire that is on the floor. Sweep

the area where wire will lay. Walk backwards towars your wire spools (half the

distance to destination). Try to keep wires straight. You don't want a bird's

nest!! Then feed back into your pull box.

One thing i have done in the past is put a little tape about every ten or so feet in the wire that will be pulled out of the box to avoid the Rat nest you might get. but be carefull to make sure all the tape comes out of the box or it will be a pain if you have to pull back.

Status
Not open for further replies.