Stopping a revolving liquid tank agitator in the same location electrically

Status
Not open for further replies.
An encoder doesn’t “do” anything, it just provides you with pulses as it revolves, ie 3600 PPR (pulses per revolution). You need something that tracks the rotation using these counts. Then you either need to “home” your counting every time you cycle power, or use what’s called an “absolute encoder” that knows where it was after powering back on. SOME very advanced drives are capable of being the intelligent device that does the tracking of the encoder pulses, those are not going to be the inexpensive ones.

Do you have an example of an absolute encoder with an analog output that you have used in the past? Don't need a high resolution but would need to be robust.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gonna drop the whole encoder idea. Too much info to process. (although it was interesting reading up on encoders capabilities). Will probable be installing a "dog" in the drivetrain and signal with a prox.

Sent from my LG-UK495 using Tapatalk

Craigv

As I am thinking about it I will probably need some type of mechanical brake. I'm envisioning the machine operator reaching into barrel to remove cleaned items. Don't want anyone losing body parts in this thing.

If this is large and heavy enough to trap or injure fingers, etc., there should be a lockout that prevents opening the door if parts are moving, and prevents internal movement if the door is open.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
That's the easy part. Just surround the tank with a cage and put an opening in the cage that's maybe a centimeter bigger than the door in the tank. Provided that the door opens outward, it will lock the tank in place when the door's open.

Hope this pic comes through. The interior barrel will be round with endcaps and perforations. Very similar to a front loading washing machine. 44 RPM top speed. My guess at this point is approximate weight of 400 lbs of rotating mass and around 42 inch diameter.
9476f67813be930eac76ddb15fb4e74e.jpg

Besoeker

Hope this pic comes through. The interior barrel will be round with endcaps and perforations. Very similar to a front loading washing machine. 44 RPM top speed. My guess at this point is approximate weight of 400 lbs of rotating mass and around 42 inch diameter.
And low RPM?

Status
Not open for further replies.