Stressed out in NC over future in Electrical Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

JVHUSMC

You may have already settled on what you are going to do by now but let me give you a little personal history.

I retired from the Marine Corps 28 years ago. Moved to Fl and became an eletrician. Unlike you I had no experience. Let me tell you if you think your starting pay was low you should have seen mine. I was told that my start pay was higher than normally because I had a family. My family and I decided where we wanted to live and that we would make it work when we got here. You have some things going for you that will be appreciated by anyone you work for. You will show up everyday, you will work, you know how to follow orders and you know how to lead. You also know the value of education. I work in an area that at the time I started was nortiously bad about providing and requiring education for electrcians. I ignored that norm for education. I studied and passed my Journeyman's Test and Master's Test. I am a state certified electrical contractor. I am also a licensed Residental/Commercial Electrical Inspector an Electrical Plans Reviewer and a 1 & 2 Family Combination Inspector. I mention this stuff only to let you know that when you and your family decide what is best for you you will do well.

Good luck and Semper Fi

Brady Electric

Stressed out in NC over future in Electrical Construction

hey Jar head from another Jar head after serving in the Corps and in Combat nothing else should be stressed out.
I went through PI in 1968 and toured Nam in 1970-1971. Got out and couldn't work for anyone so I went in business for myself.
Regardless what some say NC is a good place to work and live. We have some of the best Electricians in the business and as anywhere else some of the worst. The NC Electrical Test is one of the hardest and best test around. People come from all around to take this test.
I live in Asheville, NC now and I love it. I'm 58 now and run my little business and doing good.
You can charge a good price if you do good work and have a good reputation in the business. If you want to talk about NC work more drop me a private line. Have a GREAT day and Semper Fi Buddy

cschmid

Every one is curious what the injury is and we do not want to be too nosy but if it affects your legs are you going to be-able to stand all day long and on ladder rungs? or kneel in front of outlets for hours trimming out a house? I know there are some issues with the GI Bill..yet you have some opportunities in front of you too..So explore all the open doors and good luck..I am a Army boy and my son is a Chaplin's assistant in Iraq as we speak..I am proud of you who serve..

HighWirey

Just musing here . . .

"Regardless what some say NC is a good place to work and live"

I always thought North Carolina was a beautiful place.

And I always thought the term 'jarhead' was derogatory. Used to go out with a nice former Marine lady. Never call her a 'jarhead', or the BAM word. Good way to spend the night on the couch, or to get your bridgework arranged, sometimes not my option!

I think all members of the service and their families deserve our deepest thanks.

Now we may be on the brink of world war III.

NC_Electrician said:
OK..here goes...I am currently a US Marine pending medical retirement in the very near future (within a couple of months).

I'm 36 years old, 14 of which I've spent in the Marine operating forces.

Prior to joining the Marines in 93', I worked as a Journeyman Electrician in Maine after attending a technical college, working, and ultimately taking and passing the Journeyman's test on the first attempt.

I worked mainly commercial and industrial jobs: schools, jails/prisons, waste treatment facility, hospitals, airports etc. for experience.

Now, I'm freaking out realizing that A) my military career is ending very soon, and B) I need to find a job to support myself and family.

All I really want to do or see myself doing is being a electrician....I love it..it's fun for me, it challenges me mentally, and I enjoy working with others.

I've been hired tentatively by a local contractor starting out at $12-$14 hr with a lot of work around this area.

Now, I'm questioning the possibility of being involved with the IBEW as a JW, but I don't know if my age will screw me or being a disabled veteran.

What do you guys think? I've hooked up with www.helmetstohardhats.org but have not heard anything back yet from any of the NAJTC facilities.

I have electrical experience, training, and a lot of intangibles from the Marine Corps that I feel any employer would like to have in an employee. I'm smart, dedicated, punctual, have led armed Marines in combat (if you can do that you can do anything ) etc.

Help...I'm stressed the hell out here.

You can PM me direct if you'd like.

Moderators note: Edited to remove e-mail address

First let me thank you for your service, for our Country and for me and my family. Words can't express the gratitude I feel for you guys.

Second, try the Gulf coast area. It is a hot market and electricians are job-hopping from one area to the other.

RichyL

I have just moved out of North Carolina, the Asheville area to be more specific, and yes the pay in North Carolina for electricians is very low there, Tenn included from what ive heard. It is not hard to find a Journeyman with 6 years field experience making only around 14 dollars an hour. The business owners control all the money and electricians seem to be a dime a dozen there. Everything seems to be about the same price (gas food etc) in the average part of the country, with the exception of land and housing costs, which i have found to be cheaper to an extent. If you plan on staying in NC i would recommend moving to Charolette or Raleigh and looking for a union job.
I heard one person post about the possibility of moving to DC. I interviewed for a job in Maryland at one point where thier journeymans were starting out at about 18-20 an hour. However they also were involved in a lot of government contract work in D.C. which was scale wage pay that bumped them up to about 30 an hour which is great money. I would also like to note that commuting in and around D.C. is a nightmare in itself. The drivers are terrible, the traffic is terrible. If you live about 30 minutes outside D.C. expect to lose about 2 hours or so a day to commute time

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
RichL, you are an apprentice so how do you know what you would have made as a card holding Jman in Asheville?

What you are claiming are Jmen are probably simply 6 year helpers with no initiative to educate themselves or sit for a test.

Sorry, but I work in Asheville and some of our apprentices are making what you claim is Jman wages.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.