Stuck in a Genie Lift today...boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlietuna

Muley,
Sounds like you better go for the hiring of an extra hand! You need a groundman! But all the equipment i have used has an emergency lowering method accessible from the working platform??? Did you read the instruction book?

Electron_Sam78

...right in the middle of a pavement repair spot that looked several years old....:)

When I was in the AF and deployed to Saudi Arabia we had a repair call where one unit decided to put a deck behind their trailer. They used an 18" auger mounted on a tractor to drill a hole for a beam and went right through a 2.4Kv line. The strange thing is that nobody got hurt or even knew the line was broken until we got the call of a power outage and we had to look around for evidence of a broken line. Whoever drilled that hole had an angel looking out for them. All our circuits were usually under maximum load.

Mule

Muley,
Sounds like you better go for the hiring of an extra hand! You need a groundman! But all the equipment i have used has an emergency lowering method accessible from the working platform??? Did you read the instruction book?

Ah, the agitator is back again....:rolleyes:

1) the genie had no such item in the basket, only ground control switching.

2) The bucket truck was years and years ago...A old Pitman 70's era....no such release back then.

3) And as I stated it was the one time that I took the ground man up with me in the genie.

4) And ....Im willing to bet, you dont take the time to read the instructions either. Nor were they available....

Any more digs? knock your self out.....

480sparky

1) the genie had no such item in the basket, only ground control switching.

Then again, if the problem was burned-out wiring, would any emergency system in the basket even work? I've never seen a lift with a hydraulic over-ride in the basket.

Mule

Then again, if the problem was burned-out wiring, would any emergency system in the basket even work? I've never seen a lift with a hydraulic over-ride in the basket.

When we got down, the lift would start in "basket" but would not continue to run....it would start and continue to run in "ground" but that did us no good.:D The unlevel alarm was going crazy, with the red light in the basket, and we were not over extended or un-level. So my HUNCH is that the unstable circuit was shorting out, and was probably a permissive in the basket controls....but only a HUNCH :D.....I could do a calculation but probably wont......:D

Here's something else, every Genie I've ever been in, has a "enable" toggle switch on the ground controls that has to me made in conjunction with ground movement switch commands. This one did not have that as such, you have to use the rabbit/turtle switch for the enable.......New one on me......Get I should have read the instructions then I could have slid down the boom, and let myself down.....:D

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
We had a temp killed by a malfunctioning Z lift, he was not even 15' off the ground. It would not come down so he started jumping up and down on the platform trying to get it to go down. The hing pin snapped throwing him onto the concrete floor. Our policy now is if anything, anything at all that does not work right, no matter how small, it will not be used.

Mule

We had a temp killed by a malfunctioning Z lift, he was not even 15' off the ground. It would not come down so he started jumping up and down on the platform trying to get it to go down. The hing pin snapped throwing him onto the concrete floor. Our policy now is if anything, anything at all that does not work right, no matter how small, it will not be used.

It sounds like the action or root cause that caused the accident was the jumping not the dead lift. BUT, what snap'd thats kinda weird?

COFFEE TIME

about 6 months ago i was installing some conduit about 20 ft in the air when i heard someone yell fire. so i looked around and then down and saw my lift smoking.at first i tried to lower it but nothing happened,then bang.the battery exploded.the hydraulic lines blew then the lift came down.i jump off as fast as i could grab a fire extinguisher an put the fire out.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
It sounds like the action or root cause that caused the accident was the jumping not the dead lift. BUT, what snap'd thats kinda weird?

The pin was fractured from metal fatiuge, it bound up and prevented the lift from coming down, the jumping sheared it. With "Z" lifts the lift mechanism forms a "Z" instead of "X" like traditional scissor lifts. Platform flipped down dumping him onto the concrete. Bad design, I don't even think they make that style anymore. It had just came back from being serviced. I've had some pretty scary lifts come out to a job. The rental places do not maintain them like they should. I had on lift that would go dead after about 30 minutes of work, checked the batteries and all were nearly dry. Called the rental company back to bring another one, and they said they had just serviced that one!

Mule

The pin was fractured from metal fatiuge, it bound up and prevented the lift from coming down, the jumping sheared it. With "Z" lifts the lift mechanism forms a "Z" instead of "X" like traditional scissor lifts. Platform flipped down dumping him onto the concrete. Bad design, I don't even think they make that style anymore. It had just came back from being serviced. I've had some pretty scary lifts come out to a job. The rental places do not maintain them like they should. I had on lift that would go dead after about 30 minutes of work, checked the batteries and all were nearly dry. Called the rental company back to bring another one, and they said they had just serviced that one!

Ah, well that's a different deal....yep lack of maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.