swd circuit breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjones930

When using an swd lighting circuit breaker to turn on and off flourescent lights, do you have to use arc flash protection

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Is the cover closed? If so I would say no but I may be wrong. I have never seen anyone wear arc flash to turn a breaker on with the cover on the panel.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
A SWD breaker is a 'standard' breaker that has passed life cycle tests for fluorescent ballast and tungsten light switching currents.
If it failed violently you would be exposed to the arc flash incident energy of the panelboard the breaker is mounted in.

The 70E seems to dodge these 'black and white' decisions on purpose. Your company needs to develop safe electrical work practices that address this situation. These practices may consider the risk associated with the switching task. The NFPA 70E committee has included informational language in the 2012 edition, stating they believe it is possible for under normal operating conditions properly installed and maintained equipment may not pose a hazard.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
A SWD breaker is a 'standard' breaker that has passed life cycle tests for fluorescent ballast and tungsten light switching currents.
If it failed violently you would be exposed to the arc flash incident energy of the panelboard the breaker is mounted in.

The 70E seems to dodge these 'black and white' decisions on purpose. Your company needs to develop safe electrical work practices that address this situation. These practices may consider the risk associated with the switching task. The NFPA 70E committee has included informational language in the 2012 edition, stating they believe it is possible for under normal operating conditions properly installed and maintained equipment may not pose a hazard.

Jim there are thousand of individuals not associated with the industry who regularly turn these breakers on and off. I can't imagine expecting arc flash equipment for this. If so then they should not be allowed to be used as a switch.

zog

The 70E seems to dodge these 'black and white' decisions on purpose.
They sure do

The NFPA 70E committee has included informational language in the 2012 edition, stating they believe it is possible for under normal operating conditions properly installed and maintained equipment may not pose a hazard.

"Properly installed and maintained" causes more problems than it solves IMO, according to who? Most guys I deal with everyday say thier "breakers work great, they never trip". The 70E does mention 70B and NETA standard, so that helps.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
"Properly installed and maintained" causes more problems than it solves IMO, according to who?

Small molded case circuit breakers are definitely easier to 'maintain' (SWD is only available on 1-pole 15 & 20A devices), however they are also fairly easy to have issues with installation.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Small molded case circuit breakers are definitely easier to 'maintain' (SWD is only available on 1-pole 15 & 20A devices), however they are also fairly easy to have issues with installation.
Is a 15 0r 20 amp breaker likely to cause injury when the panel cover is on?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
Is a 15 0r 20 amp breaker likely to cause injury when the panel cover is on?
It is not the breaker as much as it is the energy where the breaker is located. I have seen these small breakers installed in outdoor 600A service entrance panelboards as well as indoor 2-circuit loadcenters, one product two different amounts of risk

There is nothing written in NFPA70E or OSHA, that would prevent your company from making an assessment.

zog

Agreed, IR scan about covers it, I was just commenting on the new 70E verbage, not really refering to the OP.

zog

It is not the breaker as much as it is the energy where the breaker is located. I have seen these small breakers installed in outdoor 600A service entrance panelboards as well as indoor 2-circuit loadcenters, one product two different amounts of risk

Yep, it seems this is the most common misconception when it comes to arc flash.

John120/240

When using an swd lighting circuit breaker to turn on and off flourescent lights, do you have to use arc flash protection

One important thing to remember "Never stand in front of the panel when operating breakers"

Stand off to one side and turn your head is the best pratice. How many store clerks pratice

these safety measures ??

iwire

Staff member
One important thing to remember "Never stand in front of the panel when operating breakers"

Stand off to one side and turn your head is the best pratice. How many store clerks pratice

these safety measures ??

If standing to the side is necessary the NEC should not allow us to use breakers as switches.

As you point out store clerks are not trained and will never be.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

I have seen these small breakers installed in outdoor 600A service entrance panelboards ............
Small breakers also have fault current breaking capacity printed on them.As such,I wonder how they could have been installed without verification in outdoor 600A service entrance panel boards,where fault level would normally be much higher than their breaking capacity.

iwire

Staff member
Small breakers also have fault current breaking capacity printed on them.As such,I wonder how they could have been installed without verification in outdoor 600A service entrance panel boards,where fault level would normally be much higher than their breaking capacity.

We would use breakers of proper fault current ratings.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Its easy...you just take the breakers out of the box and install them. Many installers have no idea of what interrupting rating is required and just install whatever breaker they have that fits. Not all inspectors look for this, and there are many jobs done without permits or inspections.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation

This is why the latest NEC now requires the available fault current to be put on the panel. Previous to this the installer might not know what to use. I have seen where it can take 10-20 man-hours spread over 2-3weeks to get available fault current information.

the blur

a 2 pole switch rated breaker doesn't exist. It's called an HID rated breaker for metal halid lighting. most counter guys never heard of it. it's usually a special order.

but now, I do wonder if 70E will kill off the switch rated breakers, and you'll see typical wall switches mounted in 1900 boxes next to panels.

365 days x 10 years. so a breaker is operated 3650 times over a 10 year period..... is that the mfg rating?
a typical light switch gets used 10 zillion times over a 10 year period.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
365 days x 10 years. so a breaker is operated 3650 times over a 10 year period..... is that the mfg rating?
a typical light switch gets used 10 zillion times over a 10 year period.

For what its worth, non-SWD breakers <100Aare tested for more than 10,000 total operations (no-load plus full load). Regardless what people say, it is all but impossible to 'wear out' a small molded case breaker in normal use. However, given the hundreds of thousand small breakers manufacturered each year, it is statistically possible some breakers will fail after a relatively few operations. And of course let's not forget the abused and misapplied breakers which can fail at any time.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

This is why the latest NEC now requires the available fault current to be put on the panel. Previous to this the installer might not know what to use. I have seen where it can take 10-20 man-hours spread over 2-3weeks to get available fault current information.
The panel board with series rated circuit breakers is required to display the breaking capacity by the code.But what about the panel board with full rated breakers?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The panel board with series rated circuit breakers is required to display the breaking capacity by the code.But what about the panel board with full rated breakers?
All panels have to have their ratings marked on the nameplate. Additional labels are required for series rated systems. Jim was talking about the rule in 110.24 in the 2011 code that requires service equipment, other than in dwelling units, be marked with the available fault current. Not the rating of the panel and its breakers, but the amount of current that the utility could supply into a fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.