take the job or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickboy1375

Thank you all for your comments and recommendations.

I think it will be very hard working for someone after 14 years of owing my own business, giving up the client base that one works very hard to attract and retain.

I need to make some decisions.

Its a real shame you're only a one man show, i've always worked for small companies, so for you to let your guys run the show somewhat and you to have your cake and eat it too would be an awesome proposition for you right now....

Strife

I am a single man shop and have had my own business for about 14 years and I have been offered a position with the local building department as an inspector, but my hesitation is that the pay is not so great but the benefits are. Now i need to make a decision within 3 weeks if i am going to accept their offer or not.
I am not looking for a specific information but rather to get your suggestion, recommendation or insight on working as an building inspector.
Having your business vs working for a city?
Besides the perks and regular benefits other benefits or personal advancement working for the city that i am not seeing yet?

any other input is welcome. As i said i need to make a decision within 3 weeks or so.

Thank you for your input.

Are you considering the fringe benefits you'll get working for the city VS the fringe benefits you get working for yourself?
There's some very good advancements working for the city, but it's all politics. When it comes to advancing in that kind of environment IT IS a popularity contest. If you don't have extraordinarily people skills you might see your advancement being somewhat slow even if you're the best in the field.
Another thing you might consider: a lot of cities will go bankrupt sooner or later. Least here in South Florida the city/county officials were/are so corrupt there's no way they'll be able to sustain the pension plans they've been throwing around. So what I'm saying that 100K pension after working 15-17 years most likely WILL NOT BE THERE 20 years from now(YEAH, we have police officers, fire fighters retiring after 17 some years with 100K pensions, how long you think that will last?. Never mind that, we had police officers staying home 10 years or so for 3/4 mill. How long you think that's sustainable?).

what makes a man happy

what makes a man happy

hey man , I had operated my own shop for 19 years until late 2010, the first thing I thought after I was forced by the economy back into the work force was holy cow!! Although I still miss the large wins$$$ of buisiness I no longer miss the big losses, so I guess in a way it was the best thing that could have happened, I really enjoy the freedom of going home at quiting time and the time I get for training paided for. whatever you decide will be the right decision. My daddy always said a mistake is just another way of doing things.

i'd go for it.. seen plenty of guys in their 50's take city or state jobs for 5 to 10 years to get a second(or first) pension after already working 20 years somewhere else.

You can always run your personal business part time.

good luck!

celtic

I would go for it.
One of the main questions I would need answered is: Who is carrying the insurance [liability and such]?

In NJ, I would be able to EI as well as EC as long as I did NOT EC in the city OR ANY ADJACENT city that I EI in - conflict of interest issue.
IMHO, even having another jurisdictions EI inspect my EC work in my EI "home territory" does NOT alleviate the conflict of interest issues. As an EI, I could make it very costly/aggravating for other ECs in my EI "home territory" and drive business to my EC shop as I slowly drive them all out.

i'd go for it.. seen plenty of guys in their 50's take city or state jobs for 5 to 10 years to get a second(or first) pension after already working 20 years somewhere else.

You can always run your personal business part time.

good luck!

......and thats the plan.

Maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.