Taped Wire Nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saturn_Europa

Occupation
Electrician Limited License NC
Who tapes up their wire nuts after making a termination in a box?

My Dad taught me that way growing up, but I gave it up five years ago. I still see a ton of guys do it. Is it a belt and suspenders thing? Superstition?

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I don't believe that the wirenut manufacturers list there product to be taped but I have seen instructions to some light fixtures that recommend it.

Normally I don't tape.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Well I am not an actual electrician so I don't actually use much in the way of wire nuts, but I typically don't allow wire nuts to be used because I've seen enough of them come loose that I don't trust them where there is vibration. I might be inclined to allow them if they were taped or otherwise secured in place so they are less likely to come loose.

I forget who makes it but there's at least one company that make what looks like a wire nut but is actually a crimp on connector. I don't have an issue with those kinds of connectors.

user 100

Who tapes up their wire nuts after making a termination in a box?

My Dad taught me that way growing up, but I gave it up five years ago. I still see a ton of guys do it. Is it a belt and suspenders thing? Superstition?

I think it's just a stubborn habit that got started way back then by the old guys that didn't trust the then new fangled doohickeys. Others have claimed its good to tape them in wet areas to keep out moisture ( actually, taping often has the opposite effect.:happyno:)

There really is no good reason to tape a wirenut- if someone tapes one b/c they are worried about the connector becoming loose, the product was applied incorrectly to begin with, or a different connector should have been used.

I don't believe that the wirenut manufacturers list there product to be taped but I have seen instructions to some light fixtures that recommend it.

I know those fixtures you speak of- they are usually crap and manufactured in a place that starts w/ a C.:)

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Many, many, many moons ago when wire nuts were made of only ceramic they really didn't bite down on the wire connection. So, tape was used to insure that the wire nut wouldn't fall off from vibration. The coils inside wire nuts made today really grip the connection and do not require taping. If you have any doubt that the wire nut may not hold (like in a peckerhead) then use tape. But, to use them as a general rule in all connections is a waste and a burden to the next electrician tracing a problem (especially if you don't leave a "thank you").

Johnnybob

I'll admit to it in peckerheads. Never had an issue with a taped one.

Yup, I always tape my motor run conductors in motor peckerheads! Why? Because that"s how I was taught. Tape is way cheaper than a single phased motor in a heavy vibration environment! And yes, I ALWAYS twist my wirenuts till the conductors are twisted 1 full revolution, then tug-test 'em:)

PS And buddy wrap the tape for the next guy (that's usually me, too)!

Last edited:

JFletcher

I used to tape wire nuts when stranded and solid wire was under one....then I learned to make a better connection and havent taped one since, except for marking purposes when the label maker was farther away than white tape and a sharpie.

Saturn_Europa

Occupation
Electrician Limited License NC
Well I am not an actual electrician so I don't actually use much in the way of wire nuts, but I typically don't allow wire nuts to be used because I've seen enough of them come loose that I don't trust them where there is vibration. I might be inclined to allow them if they were taped or otherwise secured in place so they are less likely to come loose.

I forget who makes it but there's at least one company that make what looks like a wire nut but is actually a crimp on connector. I don't have an issue with those kinds of connectors.

Crimp on connectors were spec on my plant. If you have a motor that needs to be unwired to service a pump the motor leads get short very quickly because you have to cut the crimp on connectors off.

I have also seen the plastic caps fall off and short out. But that can probably be blamed on the Labor Ready electricians that wired up my plant.

Other than that they are a good product. But I've had 100% success with 3M's wire nuts I get from the supply house.

Johnnybob

Crimp on connectors were spec on my plant. If you have a motor that needs to be unwired to service a pump the motor leads get short very quickly because you have to cut the crimp on connectors off.

I have also seen the plastic caps fall off and short out. But that can probably be blamed on the Labor Ready electricians that wired up my plant.

Other than that they are a good product. But I've had 100% success with 3M's wire nuts I get from the supply house.
My personal preference is Ideal Twisters, which have a triangular threads and seem to bite in and hold better!
But I'm still gonna tape 'em on motor runs:)!

user 100

...... I despise seeing tape on wirenuts. To me it reeks of DIY work.

..... to use them as a general rule in all connections is a waste and a burden to the next electrician tracing a problem (especially if you don't leave a "thank you").

When you have to slice/ unpeel several layers of that globbing, nasty sticky mess just to get at a joint you end up wishing very bad things on those that do this. :rant:

I agree that if it has to be done, please do that first layer sticky side out, as mentioned above- makes it much easier on the next guy.:)

Those connectors don't have to be cut off and can almost always be removed easily and quickly w/out damaging the conductors- cutting them off is just a little faster.

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
nope

nope

never have taped wire nuts.

What did I use in my own house? Ideal crimp sleeves with the rubber boots. Wire nuts in only a few places where I expected to possibly need to change the fixture in the future. All junction boxes and pigtails crimped.

AND, I soldered the crimped connection before installing the boot.

Yeah, I know, reliability numbers show soldered crimp connections less reliable than just the crimps - but that is due to poor soldering techniques and not cleaning the joint of even rosin flux with alcohol. Since I was doing the soldering, I trusted the technician :)!

Status
Not open for further replies.