Taped Wirenuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

KentAT

While we're on the subject of taping, does anybody do the "I'll wrap tape around the receptacle or switch to cover the terminals so handy homowner doesn't accidentally touch them with a screwdriver while preparing to paint the walls or for some other reason" method?

kkwong

KentAT said:
While we're on the subject of taping, does anybody do the "I'll wrap tape around the receptacle or switch to cover the terminals so handy homowner doesn't accidentally touch them with a screwdriver while preparing to paint the walls or for some other reason" method?

I tape my devices in metal boxes :grin:

Other then that, nope nope nope...

rexowner

Occupation
Electrician
KentAT said:

I very rarely tape devices - the one case I can think
of was a crowded 4-gang box with 4 three-way switches,
4 two-wire cables and 4 three wires for the travelers.

I wrapped the switches with tape over the screws on
the chance something would touch one of the many
bare ground wires since there were 8 romex cables
in the box. That's the only time I have taped devices in recent memory. I had to use two wirenuts for all the
grounds (but I didn't tape the wirenuts!)

cptgarig

More for Industrial applications

More for Industrial applications

I was taught that we only added tape in an outdoor or industrial setting where moisture or condensation could be a problem?????

frizbeedog

An Excercise in Thinking.

An Excercise in Thinking.

cptgarig said:
I was taught that we only added tape in an outdoor or industrial setting where moisture or condensation could be a problem?????

Save the tape. Use a listed wirenut for damp or wet locations if that is your concern. What would tape accomplish in keeping moisture out.

Some people go on teaching things even though it makes no sense. Because they were taught that way and they never asked why.

You should always ask yourself why it is you do that thing you do.

Here's what I do....Grab a mirror, look in it and say, "Frizbeedog, what are you doing?

L

Lxnxjxhx

request for info

request for info

A confirmed-bad wirenut connection is

cold to the touch (~ dissipating less than 1/2 watt)?

hot to the touch (~ dissipating 2 or 3 watts)?

smokes (~ over 3 watts)?

I imagine all good wirenut connections are cold to the touch, even at max current capacity?

Thanks.

mivey said:
But all I have is a cheap roll I found on one of the grocery store aisles. I don't mind the mess it makes on the wires, I just don't want the goo on my hands. Oh well, a penalty is a penalty. :smile:
Back where I worked in Michigan the supervisor decided to save a few bucks and start buying chinese electrical tape rather than our trusty 3M product. When the cheap stuff was held up to a lamp, light would shine through it easily. :) I couldn't see anyone through it but, almost. I didn't think we were ever going to get rid of that stuff.

mivey

KentAT said:
I have, on numerous occasions, taped switches and receptacles when I have had them hanging out of a box. I usually take the tape off when I'm finished with whatever experiment was going on.

jahrtrix

In most Union manufacturing plants you tape the wire nuts making sure
to seal wire nut and wires. The one issue was the one plant I worked
made bottle, Jar and can closures (caps,lids) this process produced a
lot of metal particles these particles would create "shorts" to ground
line to line shotrs so it was a good idea to tape. We would leave an "ear" of
tape to ease unwinding. It was also kept wire nut from unwinding from
vibration in the maching operation.
jahrtrix

jrclen

langjahr@comcast.net said:
A confirmed-bad wirenut connection is

cold to the touch (~ dissipating less than 1/2 watt)?

hot to the touch (~ dissipating 2 or 3 watts)?

smokes (~ over 3 watts)?

I imagine all good wirenut connections are cold to the touch, even at max current capacity?

Thanks.

Interesting chart. I've never seen that before. Seriously, the wire nuts should be no warmer than the conductors outside the wire nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.