Temperature PID loop.

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

rlundsrud

If you are getting less than 4 ma it isn't working. This is a two wire application so you need to wire it one of these two ways. More than likely, it's the first one or PNP sourcing. Pos/Neg is the 24 volt supply.

PNP Sourcing sensor
Sensor wired to positive terminal
Input wired to negative terminal

Sensor Input
(Pos)------- +● ●- -----------● ●------------ (Neg)

NPN Sinking sensor
Input wired to positive terminal
Sensor wired to negative terminal

Input Sensor
(Pos)-------● ●------------● ●------------ (Neg)

kwired

Electron manager
Red Red White
I think.
Yes, I expect it is a 3 wire RTD (Resistance Temperature Detector). Red to red should be 0 ohms. Either red to white is probably about 1000 ohms.

A three wire RTD would have two of the leads connected to same side of the "RTD", and would be the two reds in this case. The resistance change would only occur between the white and (either) red as temperature changes. The reason for the third wire tied to same point as one other one is for certain processing equipment set up for a third wire. Those are self correcting so to speak as they can measure resistance between the two common conductors and automatically adjust the registered value for cable length instead of needing to calibrate for cable length or even temp changes of the cable would be self correcting as well.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Worked out pretty well. My ‘oven‘ was a Grainger parts box heated with left over good parts of a Heat/vent/light. Blower & element. A SSR cycled the element.

MDSW wanted to know what I was going to do with it now. I told her it’s going on the shelf with my other good stuff so my heirs can go “WTH is this!?” That was not met with humor.