Tenant modification with pre-existing issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

growler

Not here.
The owner (let alone tenant ) of a commercial building can not act as GC unless he is a registered CA contractor.

That is not correct, the building owner may pull the permits and act as an owner builder.

Just my opinion: The only way to know for sure if you can pull a permit is to go in (whatever jurisdiction) and fill out a permit application. If they issue a permit then you are good to go.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't know how it works there but here you have to get a permit to do the work. you just don't have to have a general contractor on the permit. You have to list all the subcontractors including the general contractor if there is one. You also have to list the engineer and architect if there is one. I don't know what extent of plans are required but I am told sketches are common. But I have also seen some pretty elaborate sets of drawings too. But it is not something I get involved in.

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE
Is that true for commercial work? In NJ I can pull a permit and do my own electrical work for my own domicile. However, if I own a rental unit, I'd better be calling a licensed contractor to work in there.

You are absolutely right.

As an owner you can pull a permit for your own domicile not for a commercial institutional or industrial installation regardless of the scope or extent of the job that requires engineering and structural or electrical.

You can pull a permit as owner regardless of size whether it's a mansion or a shack if it is intended for your own use.
For people to say otherwise. . . they must have been dealing with residential work exclusively and not commercial or industrial.

In LA they have inspectors specializing in residential only and others only on commercial installs.

Of course all bets are off if if a guy lives in a farm raising rabbits for example. :happyyes:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Is that true for commercial work? In NJ I can pull a permit and do my own electrical work for my own domicile. However, if I own a rental unit, I'd better be calling a licensed contractor to work in there.
Yes, but you have to be the owner. There is a box you check that you will either you or your employees will do the work or you will have a licensed contractor do it. Now it's really hard, on our end, to verify who really did the work. It also say that as the owner, the building is not intended or offered for sale, so technically flippers can't pull a permit.

Status
Not open for further replies.