Termonology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wattman

Hello Everyone

I have been in the electrical field for 30 years and have came across a lot of "terminology" and ?spec statements? and slang, for electrical components, devices and methods, that are sometimes misunderstood or overcomplicated by associates with varying level of experience and knowledge in specific areas of the electrical field.

I would like to post only one or a couple of words, terms or statements, at a time to see and understand everyone interpretation of the word or term, and based on their specific area of expertise, experience or specific discipline (EE,ME AR, PE, engineer, designer, contractor, inspector, etc) within the electrical field.

I would like to say there will be no wrong answers, and would like for all levels to reply without fear of belittlement, what is needed to meet the requirement of the specification or their understanding or interpretation of the term. It is the assumption that there is no other information available and no other source to contact for clarification of the term or statement you are the only deciding party as to how the condition will be met for you to commit company manpower, resources or compliance assurance. If you feel there are issues with any code, cost or labor issues, or a more clear statement please elaborate.

Your input will be greatly appreciated
Watt

1st

Each office net-work drops will consist of (2) Cat 6A cables, the raceway will be 1? RMT stubbed above the ceiling grid utilizing only sweep 90?s, installation of network will be ?by others?

:lol: :happyno: :happyyes: :D :eek: :rant: :thumbsup: :thumbsdown:

kwired

Electron manager
Hello Everyone

I have been in the electrical field for 30 years and have came across a lot of "terminology" and ?spec statements? and slang, for electrical components, devices and methods, that are sometimes misunderstood or overcomplicated by associates with varying level of experience and knowledge in specific areas of the electrical field.

I would like to post only one or a couple of words, terms or statements, at a time to see and understand everyone interpretation of the word or term, and based on their specific area of expertise, experience or specific discipline (EE,ME AR, PE, engineer, designer, contractor, inspector, etc) within the electrical field.

I would like to say there will be no wrong answers, and would like for all levels to reply without fear of belittlement, what is needed to meet the requirement of the specification or their understanding or interpretation of the term. It is the assumption that there is no other information available and no other source to contact for clarification of the term or statement you are the only deciding party as to how the condition will be met for you to commit company manpower, resources or compliance assurance. If you feel there are issues with any code, cost or labor issues, or a more clear statement please elaborate.

Your input will be greatly appreciated
Watt

1st

Each office net-work drops will consist of (2) Cat 6A cables, the raceway will be 1? RMT stubbed above the ceiling grid utilizing only sweep 90?s, installation of network will be ?by others?

:lol: :happyno: :happyyes: :D :eek: :rant: :thumbsup: :thumbsdown:

I would think if I were bidding that job I would be prepared to have to install 1" RMC and pull 2 Cat 6A cables for each drop, and hope the "others" will do the rest.

Otherwise I see your dilemma it really doesn't tell you what you are to do, I would think at very least you are supposed to drop raceways down the walls, but then they specify RMT, most will be asking what is that some cross between EMT and rigid?

John120/240

My first thought was RMT should be EMT as the "R" key and the "E" key are neighbors. Rigid conduit for data drops in an indoor application would be over kill IMHO. I assumed indoors by the ceiling grid remark.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I'll go with the E vs. R typo myself.

If we think in terms of R as meant for rigid, then what is the T for... Rigid Metallic Tubing?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
1st

A. I would take a quick look at the plans and the drop locations to confirm that the only drops will be in offices, and not in cubicles or other locations where I would either be attaching the raceway to existing power poles or running raceway in open space from top of cubicle to ceiling grid.
If no walls, then supporting/securing the raceway at the grid becomes a potential cost.
B. It seems "obvious" from the description that the raceway is intended to be surface mounted on the existing walls, BUT some office construction methods will stop the partition wall at the ceiling level, so "stubbed above the ceiling grid" is also consistent with the customer expecting the raceway to be installed inside the walls.
C. Presumably the location of the other end of each drop (IT room?), and maybe a required free length at that point, will be specified in the plans along with the location of the drops.
D. Will you have to install raceway at the central end of the drop wires too?

Last edited:

mgookin

I'd call the guy who did the plans or wrote the specs. It's his duty to communicate clearly.

If he's drawing plans or writing specs and he does not identify his acronyms, he is producing incomplete work. A simple template legend is simple and a necessary part of any contract documents.

kwired

Electron manager
I'd call the guy who did the plans or wrote the specs. It's his duty to communicate clearly.

If he's drawing plans or writing specs and he does not identify his acronyms, he is producing incomplete work. A simple template legend is simple and a necessary part of any contract documents.

but OP said to assume you couldn't do that for whatever reason, and asked what was specified based on information given. Take that as a challenge and tell us what you read.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
but OP said to assume you couldn't do that for whatever reason, and asked what was specified based on information given. Take that as a challenge and tell us what you read.
If these are bid specs, then they are not realistic and there would probably be a lot more questionable items in the plans and on the specs. If there is no way to submit RFIs, I would pass on bidding the project.

just the cowboy

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Lots of luck

Lots of luck

I would take it as RTM means Ridged Metal Tubing(person not knowing the correct name for EMT) 1" sweep 90 as a pre-manufactured sweep. Terminations done by others.

shamsdebout

1st

[/QUOTE]

Where a telecom symbol is shown they expect to have a 1" EMT (I agree with other posters) up to the accessible ceiling. Based on what I read this will be concealed in the wall. Based on what I read the a box, and pathway will be the scope of work, cables will be pulled and terminated by someone else.

As to the utilizing only sweep 90's line, I don't really make any sense of that.

Besoeker

It isn't just the terminology but the jargon used here that sometimes flummoxes me here.
I am learning and I do ask.
Uffer, Romex, RMC, EMT......
But I do have an excuse.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Noted.
I was just to indolent to check it......:p
Upon further research, I find that although the pronunciation of his name is a matter strictly for Mr. Ufer, and does not seem to be readily accessible via the Internet, the standard German pronunciation is OO-fer, and the US anglicization (anglicisation) might have been YOU-fer, the British standard pronunciation seems uff-er, just as you spelled it.
Electricians around the world are grateful to be able to call it a Concrete Encased Electrode and avoid the controversy.

kwired

Electron manager
Upon further research, I find that although the pronunciation of his name is a matter strictly for Mr. Ufer, and does not seem to be readily accessible via the Internet, the standard German pronunciation is OO-fer, and the US anglicization (anglicisation) might have been YOU-fer, the British standard pronunciation seems uff-er, just as you spelled it.
Electricians around the world are grateful to be able to call it a Concrete Encased Electrode and avoid the controversy.

Unfortunately there is probably a large number that know they are supposed to "ground the footer" but don't realize there is a name for it.

cdslotz

I don't see it as a typo at all.
It looks to me like a spec written by the designer of the structured cable systems.
It's not unusual for data, fire alarm, A/V designers to use the wrong terminology when referring to electrical.

If I couldn't get a clarification by bid time, I would bid it with EMT, factory 90, cables furnished/installed/term by others, and then qualify by bid.

If I passed on bids based on bad terminology, I would never bid anything :)

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
That's Ufer, named after Herbert Ufer, so the spelling is significant.

Tapatalk...

For anyone that doesn't know, he is the one that discovered, or at least the one most people give credit for, the concrete encased electrode, and some call it a "Ufer" because of that.

I will not say he definitely discovered it or exactly what he did because I really don't know, but his name is commonly tied to CEE's somehow.

jeremysterling

I'll take a poke at it.

(1) 2100 box
(1) mudring
(1) caddy bracket
(1) 1" EMT connector
(1) 1" pop on bushing
(15') 1" EMT
(1) 1" EMT cplg (in case the grid is 10'+ AFF)
Install jetline pullstring.
I think an EMT hand bender will bend a "sweep".

Status
Not open for further replies.