Test Ques.

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
...To that extent, I think that the 700A/in2 is a conservative approach to cover all possible configurations and maybe a bit of a blunt instrument.
And while I am reasonably sure this is the answer any NEC test is looking for, it does not apply generally. It only applies to bus bars installed in an auxiliary gutter. The code does not specify the ampacity of bus bars used in any other application.

Besoeker

And while I am reasonably sure this is the answer any NEC test is looking for, it does not apply generally. It only applies to bus bars installed in an auxiliary gutter. The code does not specify the ampacity of bus bars used in any other application.
"auxiliary gutter"
I don't mean to be a pain but can you what that term means?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I think we're going to have to get the Brit a copy of the NEC. I'm sure he would get a kick out of some of our terms and rules, just like we find some of their's amusing.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I really don't know because I don't understand the difference between an auxiliary gutter and a wireway and why they have differing rules.

Hmmm.....

The way I see it a wireway is for wires and cable only. The aux gutter, 'used to supplement wiring spaces' can have busbar. Wireways have no limit on length, but aux gutters can only extend 30 feet beyond the equipment it serves.

Also, an aux gutter has to be supported every 5 feet, where you can go up to 10 for a wireway.

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Hmmm.....

The way I see it a wireway is for wires and cable only. The aux gutter, 'used to supplement wiring spaces' can have busbar. Wireways have no limit on length, but aux gutters can only extend 30 feet beyond the equipment it serves.

Also, an aux gutter has to be supported every 5 feet, where you can go up to 10 for a wireway.
Yes, but why? Physically there is no difference.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I'm just guessing, but the allowance for busbars may be the reason. The only 'construction' difference is about clearance from bare live conductors. 366.100(E)
I see the live part clearance as a sizing issue, not a "construction" issue.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I am thinking that the real world application would be that if you use the 'duct' (for lack of a better word) to enclose a busbar, you have to follow the rules for 'auxiliary gutters'. If only wire is going to be used, you would be allowed to use the less restrictive rules for 'wireways'.

The only thing that muddies up my attempt at an explanation is the 'supplemental' part of the auxiliary gutter article.

Status
Not open for further replies.