THHN- NYLON JACKET

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Content in posts 9 and 10 would be "what is mentioned in the code". Majority of them do not have nylon jacket.
Which is the point I was making

Majority of what I see installed for general use is either THHN/THWN/THWN-2, multi rated USE/RHW/RHH, or XHHW.
So some of those conductors have a nylon jacket and some don't

If copper conductor just about all I ever see is THHN/THWN,
I would agree that THHN/THWN are probably the most used
see RHW or XHHW they are usually aluminum conductors.
In my experience it's the opposite and on a recent project I wrote a PO for a wire purchase that included 130,000' of 500 KCMIL XHHW CU. Many of our projects spec XHHW CU for underground feeders and service entrance conductors

Roger

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Copper thieves would call that a 401K plan:)
As a matter of fact, there was some stolen over a period of a few months. One particular case was a group broke into a conex and rolled a full one thousand foot reel up a slight incline about hundred feet where they loaded it into a truck, but luckily they were caught a short time later. Where most was stolen was from an employee that was also eventually caught. :happysad:

Roger

kwired

Electron manager
As a matter of fact, there was some stolen over a period of a few months. One particular case was a group broke into a conex and rolled a full one thousand foot reel up a slight incline about hundred feet where they loaded it into a truck, but luckily they were caught a short time later. Where most was stolen was from an employee that was also eventually caught. :happysad:

Roger

Can a light duty truck even handle the weight of a 1000 feet? They may not get very far before something on the truck breaks if they don't have a fairly heavy duty truck to haul it in.

How would you ever get away with selling this without at least cutting it up first?

For that matter how do you steal it without cutting it up first or having access to machinery to lift it?

I guess if you had a flatbed with a crane you could be in and out in fairly quick time.

Status
Not open for further replies.