This is why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I love his comments. Defending every code violation and arguing with every electrican likes its DIY chatroom. Sad.

But that aside the video is just DIYs how to hack. :happysad:

teco

I love his comments. Defending every code violation and arguing with every electrican likes its DIY chatroom. Sad.

But that aside the video is just DIYs how to hack. :happysad:

Yep, but even besides the install, the Clown hat, clown glasses, language, pajama pants, etc. Just disgusting to me.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I love how in the beginning he shows cleaning the PVC, and he wipes the cleaner on the INSIDE of the conduit, not the inside of the bell. I also have to say, electrical work in your PJs..., classic!
:p

Also, catch his witty commentary;

"This cement is like glue, baby!"
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That stuff does not bother me in the least. There has always been and always will be DIYs.

No it doesn't bother me too much either but what does bother me is that he is showing it wrong to the rest of the diy'er which is not a good idea. In actuality he install has many violations but not horrible ones. The worst that I noticed is the ser in the conduit underground.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Yep, but even besides the install, the Clown hat, clown glasses, language, pajama pants, etc. Just disgusting to me.

I agree. He sounds smart (at least to those who don't have a clue about electrical), but has many obvious blunders like SER in conduit. Language isn't to far off from some job sites, but I agree the composure should be more professional for a public video.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
No it doesn't bother me too much either but what does bother me is that he is showing it wrong to the rest of the diy'er which is not a good idea. In actuality he install has many violations but not horrible ones. The worst that I noticed is the ser in the conduit underground.

Nope! He defends it on utube its water proof SER :lol::p

kwired

Electron manager
...but I agree the composure should be more professional for a public video.

I see the video is about 46 minutes long, even if I were someone trying to learn something here I got bored with all the wasted time on that video - and I only watched about 2 minutes. Assuming I were someone that wanted to learn something from watching this, all we really learned at two minutes in was how to spread PVC cement on the pipe and push two lengths of pipe together. It amazes me watching all these how to videos posted on the internet - and not just electrical how to. I think the makers of these just always wanted to be on television, teachers, or other similar jobs and today's technology makes that dream easy to fulfill then it was 20 years ago. They don't realize people viewing are not interested in all the wasted time that is off topic and if creating the video while doing a real project - they at least need to learn how to edit it and piece in parts that are relevant and cut out the stuff that isn't. There is probably how to painting videos out there where the viewer is forced to watch paint dry:(.

I used to watch "This old house" and other similar TV shows. Can't say I always argreed with some of what I saw, but at least they didn't bore you with all the stuff that don't matter, or fumble around with something trying to show you how to work it,or maybe even saying - we had this thing working correctly earlier....really if this is a serious how to video viewers want to see it and see it working the way it is supposed to - the first time.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
And what you learn about cementing two pieces of PVC together is wrong.
1. Apply cleaner/primer to both mating surfaces, not just one.
2. Apply cement to both surfaces before the primer dries.
3. Twist the pipe at least 1/4 turn as you bottom it out in the joint.

teco

Over 10 thousand views. With what we are required to and need to know in today's electrical industry, this stuff is an embarrassment to professional electricians imo. It will never stop until DYIs are limited more in the electrical field by the enforcement agencies in cities and towns. Won't happen in my time I know, but I'm hopeful someday it will. Maybe saves someone's life instead of just a foundation here and there.

jumper

I'm hoping that later he actually tightened that neutral lug in the sub panel, it was loose when he put the wire in and was still at an angle later. All the connections I saw him make looked sketchy.

Yeah, the whole install was bad, but the house probably will not burn down or at least I hope not.

kwired

Electron manager
And what you learn about cementing two pieces of PVC together is wrong.
1. Apply cleaner/primer to both mating surfaces, not just one.
2. Apply cement to both surfaces before the primer dries.
3. Twist the pipe at least 1/4 turn as you bottom it out in the joint.
I did notice he grabbed the end of the pipe in the area he had just applied cleaner to while he was prepping the other piece of pipe:slaphead: Not that it really mattered anyway for pipe being used as electric raceway, compared to a pipe that would be operating under pressure.

Over 10 thousand views. With what we are required to and need to know in today's electrical industry, this stuff is an embarrassment to professional electricians imo. It will never stop until DYIs are limited more in the electrical field by the enforcement agencies in cities and towns. Won't happen in my time I know, but I'm hopeful someday it will. Maybe saves someone's life instead of just a foundation here and there.
There are DIY's and similar DIY videos for more then just electrical, we just are more stringent on evaluating a video for electrical work on this site. Who knows you can probably find a DIY video for open heart surgery out there as well:cool:
But first you must find DIY videos for building some medical exam equipment and surgical procedure equipment, and of course a DIY guide to NEC art 517:lol:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I did notice he grabbed the end of the pipe in the area he had just applied cleaner to while he was prepping the other piece of pipe:slaphead: Not that it really mattered anyway for pipe being used as electric raceway, compared to a pipe that would be operating under pressure.

There are DIY's and similar DIY videos for more then just electrical, we just are more stringent on evaluating a video for electrical work on this site. Who knows you can probably find a DIY video for open heart surgery out there as well:cool:
But first you must find DIY videos for building some medical exam equipment and surgical procedure equipment, and of course a DIY guide to NEC art 517:lol:
Actually, he did not ever prep the other piece if pipe as I recall. He definitely only swabbed cement on the one piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.