Title 24 (California)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dana1028

cowboyjwc said:
Package C: This package allows electric resistance space heat, but increases stringency for most envelope features to make up the additional TDV energy that would be used by the electric heating system.

But you can only use this if you have an all electric house.

152(b) 1 c of the California Energy Code. New electric resistance heating systems are prohibited in alterations unless the system being replaced is an electric resistance heating system. If the existing system is gas, propane or LPG, then new electric resistance systems are not permitted.

If you want to PM me I can give you the number for the Energy Commission hotline.

Table 151-C and Section 152(b)(1)(c) apply to the "Prescriptive approach" vs. "Performance Approach".

Prescriptive is the set of rules that can be 'bent' by the computer modeling (Performance) approach to creating your CF-1Rs...i.e. the 'Energy Report'. With computer modeling all the prescriptive rules can be bent by adjusting multiple energy factors. As mentioned earlier, yes you can use electric space heating, but you end up having to provide better energy compliance elsewhere in the project/dwelling to replace lost 'energy points' for using a poor energy source like electric heating. [Example - use more efficient windows, or more insulation in the walls, etc.]

gndrod

ike5547 said:
I had an inspection today and the inspector informed me that it is illegal to install electrical resistance space heaters in California. The specific heater in question was a 240 volt, 2000 watt, wall insert heater with a small fan motor. The job was a residential service upgrade, a new bathroom exhaust fan and the heater.

Can anyone from California verify that this is true? I haven't been able to locate this prohibition within title 24 or anywhere else.

The inspector actually green tagged the entire job regardless of the heater issue.

So the new CA Title 24 has just put the Bathroom resistance ceiling heaters on the CA Consumer Affairs black list or is that just local? There is another compliant answer by using IR ceiling lamps to heat the bathroom (on a timer of course). As far as adherring to energy code constraints, prescriptive or calculated requirements have compensations for structure envelope design energy efficiencies. Heatpumps with backup resistance heating is still allowed on new construction, only thing is that the HSPF/COP factors are raised for Zone compliances. Unfortunately, that can be a very expensive AHJ call. rbj

cowboyjwc

Staff member
gndrod said:
So the new CA Title 24 has just put the Bathroom resistance ceiling heaters on the CA Consumer Affairs black list or is that just local? There is another compliant answer by using IR ceiling lamps to heat the bathroom (on a timer of course). As far as adherring to energy code constraints, prescriptive or calculated requirements have compensations for structure envelope design energy efficiencies. Heatpumps with backup resistance heating is still allowed on new construction, only thing is that the HSPF/COP factors are raised for Zone compliances. Unfortunately, that can be a very expensive AHJ call. rbj

It is not local, but not every jurisdiction in CA is enforcing the energy code like they should be.

ike5547 said:
What if there is no existing system to replace in a particular room (e.g. the bathroom) but there may be an existing gas system in another part of the house. Would you be precluded from installing a small electric resistance heater in your bathroom?

I would say that if you have gas in the house, the yes it would preclude installing a heater in the bathroom.

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
cowboyjwc said:
I would say that if you have gas in the house, the yes it would preclude installing a heater in the bathroom.

Well, the next time someone asks me to put in an electric heater I'm going to try calling that hotline you mentioned.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
All I can tell you is that I called the hotline and asked the question as it was posed and the answer was "NO". The figure that if you need heat in the bathroom it would be just as easy to run a duct over and feed it that way. As long as you stay under 40' or that's a whole other problem.

Besides "new" there are three other considerations, addition, alteration, or repair. I would consider this an alteration and must be installed per title 24.

I'm sure that when you put in the heat/light/fan combos that you are installing flouresent lighting or a manual on occupancy sensor for the light.

Status
Not open for further replies.