Transformer help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Besoeker

Guys thanks for all your help, and assuring me i hadnt lost all my electrical knowledge and should be flipping burgers somewhere. ill end this with this point, something you would think i would know by now, unless you yourself make up the connections dont take someone elses word for it. sometimes you just gotta break the rules and slip away and put your hands on it yourself. Now how do I explain this one to the shop???.... thanks again guys, and this web page is going directly to my favorites list for future help or my input to others needing help!!
What did you find the problem to be?
Assuming that it has been resolved.

chris648

when I replicated the reported voltages nothing was tied to X2 and X3 ... they were just tied together, I dont know if the connection was bad or what, because that part I did physicaly see myself ..... thats the only thing i can figure was happening was it was a bad joint, i bonded everything together in the transformer and went to the casing, like i thought was done in the first place, and boom problem solved. like it should have been in the first place. I thought I was loosing my mind. So for future remember this, if you are reading 120 to ground on one leg, but 50 volts on the other, X2 and x3 center tap isnt being brought up .... sometimes the things that are most simple gets us I guess.... thanks again guys

Besoeker

when I replicated the reported voltages nothing was tied to X2 and X3 ...
That's kinda the most likely conclusion I'd come to in post #3.:
Is the centre tap of the 120-0-120V connected to ground?
Not a lot else would have explained the readings.

But, it seems, you were relying on second hand information.
That can be difficult.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

when I replicated the reported voltages nothing was tied to X2 and X3 ... they were just tied together, I dont know if the connection was bad or what, because that part I did physicaly see myself ..... thats the only thing i can figure was happening was it was a bad joint, i bonded everything together in the transformer and went to the casing, like i thought was done in the first place, and boom problem solved. like it should have been in the first place. I thought I was loosing my mind. So for future remember this, if you are reading 120 to ground on one leg, but 50 volts on the other, X2 and x3 center tap isnt being brought up .... sometimes the things that are most simple gets us I guess.... thanks again guys

One last test remains to be done for confirmation.If possible,disconnect loads on the transformer and also disconnect the ground connection from the transformer .Also remove the phase and neutral connections from the secondary terminals of the transformer.With due precaution,now measure the secondary voltages:line to neutral and line to line.You should get the name plate secondary voltages.Do you?

Last edited:
T

T.M.Haja Sahib

Neutral Broken?

Neutral Broken?

One more suspicion is the neutral is still in broken condition.Connecting the X2 X3 to the ground might have restored the normal voltages.But still the condition is abnormal.............

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
One more suspicion is the neutral is still in broken condition.Connecting the X2 X3 to the ground might have restored the normal voltages.But still the condition is abnormal.............
Well the condition is normal now. It was abnormal, but that could have been because a seemingly normal connection was not what it seemed to be. How can that be known for sure?

How can one know what is to be until one is willing to look at all that could be and not give up until each of those possibilities is tested and confirmed? More testing is needed to be sure.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

More testing is needed to be sure.

Yes.The OP Should check the current in the ground wire connecting secondary neutral terminal to ground.I suspect abnormal value of load current might be flowing in it due to neutral broken somewhere........

Last edited:

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Yes.The OP Should check the current in the ground wire connecting secondary neutral terminal to ground.I suspect abnormal value of load current might be flowing in it due to neutral broken somewhere........
If the break in the neutral turned out to be intermittent how would the location be located? These things could show up anywhere along the circuit.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

If the break in the neutral turned out to be intermittent how would the location be located? These things could show up anywhere along the circuit.
First it may be easily confirmed whether the break in neutral is intermittent or not.If the break in neutral is intermittent,the voltages would dance from normal to abnormal and back and forth with a corresponding dance in current in GEC connecting secondary neutral to ground.......

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
First it may be easily confirmed whether the break in neutral is intermittent or not.If the break in neutral is intermittent,the voltages would dance from normal to abnormal and back and forth with a corresponding dance in current in GEC connecting secondary neutral to ground.......
What if one were to test when the neutral connection was in a good connection state but later it converted to bad? Which test is to be relied on?

Often the connection between the neutral and GEC are in the same location but do not have to be. Trade practices are not always followed or understood or required.

Last edited:
T

T.M.Haja Sahib

What if one were to test when the neutral connection was in a good connection state but later it converted to bad? Which test is to be relied on?

Often the connection between the neutral and GEC are in the same location but do not have to be. Trade practices are not always followed or understood or required.

But the OP did not report any fluctuation in the abnormal voltages he observed.So it seems that the break in neutral is permanent.

So,if he is willing for his and others safety,let him measure the current in the wire connecting secondary neutral to ground and if the current found to be abnormal,let him trace the broken neutral and rectify.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

Did you miss this point made in post #23?

No connection, no current.
The voltages were normalized when the OP connected X2 X3 to ground.It can mean connection to neutral was made via ground.

Besoeker

The voltages were normalized when the OP connected X2 X3 to ground.It can mean connection to neutral was made via ground.
It wasn't initially so there would have been no current.
After it was there still should have been no current measure in the wire connecting secondary neutral to ground unless there was a fault somewhere.
That the problem appears to have been resolved suggests otherwise.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

That the problem appears to have been resolved suggests otherwise.

The OP has not responded whether there was abnormal current or not in the conductor connecting neutral to ground till date...........

Status
Not open for further replies.