Transformer Wiring

dkidd

Occupation
PE
No

HAMMOND POWER SG3C0045KD D16 SNTL-G 3PH 45KVA 480D-240D/120CT AL 60HZ 150C 3R ENERGY EFFICIENT DISTRIBUTION TRANSFORMER​

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As DK said, no, that's a delta-delta unit. The center-tap, if grounded, creates a high-leg.

What voltage and system type are you looking to obtain, and what voltage do you have?

You would only connect a wye's primary neutral to the source if you had a wye secondary.

Jody Boehs

Occupation
Controls and Electrical Manager
I have 480 wye with no neutral. I need 240 3 phase.

on an existing system it is 240 delta. it runs the pneumatic pumps on flour trailers. so that is why i was saying i need 240 delta

would 240 wye work? i know i wont be able to use any single phase off of it but would it work

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have 480 wye with no neutral.
Then you need not ask about a primary neutral.

I need 240 3 phase.

would 240 wye work? i know i wont be able to use any single phase off of it but would it work
Absolutely, and having the wye secondary would make grounding it simple.

Otherwise, you would have to ground the center tap, corner-ground, or use fault-detection.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
so which one the first one i posted or the wye to wye
He's referring to the delta-delta you posted. It suits your source and required voltages.

But it doesn't make for symmetrical grounding. Ideally, you want a delta-to-wye transformer.

And, yes, they are common. So, look for one with a 480D primary to 240Y/139 secondary.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If you want 240 line to line on the secondary, and want a grounded system, you will have to make it corner grounded, get a transformer with center tap so you have a high leg, or get a drive isolation transformer with a 240Y/139 volt secondary.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
He's referring to the delta-delta you posted. It suits your source and required voltages.

But it doesn't make for symmetrical grounding. Ideally, you want a delta-to-wye transformer.

And, yes, they are relatively common.
Yes a secondary of 208Y/120 is very common, but if he needs 240 volts line to line, a secondary of 240Y/139 is less common.

Jody Boehs

Occupation
Controls and Electrical Manager
I want 240 line to line. I don't care if it has a high leg or not. If I pull 120 off of it I will just be careful not to use the high leg.

can I use a delta to wye transformer on my 480 wye primary? i think i have before

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If i can use the first transformer i posted then thats what I will do. the symmetrical grounding im not too familiar with
Yes, it will work, and if you might have use for the 120v or 120/240v, then definitely.

Bond X0 to your building's electrode system.

By symmetrical, I meant equal line-to-neutral voltages, like a wye normally has.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You're welcome.

To recap:

The primary will be the three lines plus an EGC; no neutral.

The secondary will be three lines (one hi-leg) and a neutral.