Transition to residential part time

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
I have a property mgt company that has contacted me about being there go to electrician

But are you an electrician?

I understand you are work for a power company but in the three states I work on that would not quilfy you to do electrical work in homes or businesses or even allow you to sit for the exams

GrayHair

A view from outside

A view from outside

Will the work you are proposing require the entire electrical to be brought up to current code? Are you ready for that?
Not looking for your answer. These are just questions you might ask yourself.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Just because you work for the POCO that does not qualify you as an electrician.
Have you taken the necessary steps and the exam to show you are qualified to do electrical work outside of the utility?

mgookin

I don't know what your POCO work schedule is that provides an opportunity to do this work during daylight hours. It also seems it may be questionable as to whether you have the experience required to take the test. So let me throw this out there - how about if you go to work for that guy you said you know does good work, and be his "service change" guy. A benefit to him and his customers is that there is never a wait for POCO to disconnect & reconnect; he will be providing a better service than his competition can. Meanwhile, if the local electric inspector needs other upgrades on the job because of the service change (every area is different, like adding smoke detectors, getting rid of old fuse boxes, etc.) his other forces can do that work while you're at your POCO job. And then once you have experience with him, that may qualify you to sit for the test in the future.

On a side note, I strongly suggest that if you do tell a POCO customer that they need work done, and you recommend your side employer, that you fully disclose that when you give them his business card. And still be prepared for a complaint to POCO when someone's bill is higher than represented even if it is the local electric inspector who required more work then originally represented or understood.

ALNElectric

I don't know what your POCO work schedule is that provides an opportunity to do this work during daylight hours. It also seems it may be questionable as to whether you have the experience required to take the test. So let me throw this out there - how about if you go to work for that guy you said you know does good work, and be his "service change" guy. A benefit to him and his customers is that there is never a wait for POCO to disconnect & reconnect; he will be providing a better service than his competition can. Meanwhile, if the local electric inspector needs other upgrades on the job because of the service change (every area is different, like adding smoke detectors, getting rid of old fuse boxes, etc.) his other forces can do that work while you're at your POCO job. And then once you have experience with him, that may qualify you to sit for the test in the future.

On a side note, I strongly suggest that if you do tell a POCO customer that they need work done, and you recommend your side employer, that you fully disclose that when you give them his business card. And still be prepared for a complaint to POCO when someone's bill is higher than represented even if it is the local electric inspector who required more work then originally represented or understood.

I never thought about working under him. Thanks for the reply. I do feel as if I could use a little more experience before taking the test. Which is why I'm exploring my options as to the best way to get my feet in the door on the residential side. Thanks for all the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.