Trouble shooting customer getting shocked at hose bib

Status
Not open for further replies.

gar

Occupation
EE
100709-1914 EST

hurk27:

It was in A. D. Moore's later years that he got involved in electrostatics. A lot of his earlier work was in mapping fields of various geometries, These fields could be electric, magnetic, light intensity, and others. He either invented or was a major researcher in using fluid flow models to study electric or magnetic fields. His method was essentially an analog computer that predated electronic analog computers.

Today digital computer programs are used to map and study fields. Essentially in field mapping you create equipotential lines or surfaces, and current or flux lines. Equipotential lines and current lines must intersect perpendicular to each other. For a field that can not be mathematically defined it is a matter of trial and error to map these fields. One of Moore's techniques was to use a circle guide to create curvilinear squares. This was an "eye balling" and trial error technique.

For a discussion on field mapping see Chapter 7, "Mapping Electric Fields" in "Electric and Magnetic Fields" by Stephen S. Attwood, Third Edition, 1949, John Wiley & Sons.

dbuckley

I agree with these two sources of voltage on the service neutral/grounding, but are they really that different?
In one way the two circumstances are the same, as there is only one type of electricity, static electricity aside.

The difference is in diagnosis and treatment; one situation is almost always a fault and fixable, the other is almost always a situation and needs working around or accepting.

This differential diagnosis is the first thing to do on these strange voltage issues, to work out which ball park to go digging in. If yoiu dont get this bit right, you can spend hours with meters, get lots of information, much of which is irrelevant to the issue at hand.

hurk27

In one way the two circumstances are the same, as there is only one type of electricity, static electricity aside.

The difference is in diagnosis and treatment; one situation is almost always a fault and fixable, the other is almost always a situation and needs working around or accepting.

This differential diagnosis is the first thing to do on these strange voltage issues, to work out which ball park to go digging in. If you don't get this bit right, you can spend hours with meters, get lots of information, much of which is irrelevant to the issue at hand.

Well you got no argument from me, as I think we are on the same page, as you will note my response in post 4 and 5 in this thread.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.