Better yet - get the whole ratcheting wirenut driver:

http://www.tessco.com/products/imagedisplay.jsp?itemID=252262

imagedisplay.jsp

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
earshavewalls said:
If I remember right, bucannons and sta-cons are the same product?

Well, they're both actually brand names, but I always took sta-kons to be crimp-on terminals, like 1/4" male and female disconnects, rings, spades, hooks, etc.

These dudes:
stakon_terminals.jpg

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
That's the Buchanan crimps and tool alright. The only violation with this method is leaving tails through the crimp. The instructions say to twist the wires, then crimp, then cut off the excess. By this instruction, leaving tails through the crimp is a violation, but I must confess I do it. Never been called on it.

Mark

Jim W in Tampa

I seen proof postive at supply house today,they are trying to sell them tan with red wire nuts.They had plenty of them you try its in a ben.I did what they did not count on.I picked out 4 of the ones that were tried and untwisted them to see how good they did.No thanks i will keep pretwisting.Not even oe came close to a good connection.Will they work ? Sure but if under a full load not thinking long.Now if this is 3 phase and that neutral breaks loose !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ohh well they they needed a new copy machine anyways .I like to walk away thinking i did my best not just what met code or was fast.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
busman said:
That's the Buchanan crimps and tool alright. The only violation with this method is leaving tails through the crimp. The instructions say to twist the wires, then crimp, then cut off the excess. By this instruction, leaving tails through the crimp is a violation, but I must confess I do it. Never been called on it.

Mark

I define excess as that which you don't need, not that which protrudes. I can see NO code or performance concern with leaving one (or more?) uninsulated conductors beyond an uninsulated crimp of uninsulated conductors.

I'm used to those crimps in industrial settings with the rubber type cap which I've not seen on EGC applications.

tallguy

Jim W in Tampa said:
I seen proof postive at supply house today,they are trying to sell them tan with red wire nuts.They had plenty of them you try its in a ben.I did what they did not count on.I picked out 4 of the ones that were tried and untwisted them to see how good they did.No thanks i will keep pretwisting.Not even oe came close to a good connection.

Honestly, all this proves is that those who tried them out didn't make proper connections. These are not proper connections:
step13.jpg

These are:
wn_buc_wire_twist.jpg

One doesn't need to pre-twist in order to get the latter. I'm not saying you shouldn't pre-twist. Do whatever makes you comfortable with the quality of your work of course. Just don't slam those of us who choose not to pretwist and still get a good solid connection in the end.

I'm sure 20 years from now I'll be tut-tutting at push in connectors the whipper snappers seem so sure of :wink:

Last edited:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
GeorgeB said:
I define excess as that which you don't need, not that which protrudes. I can see NO code or performance concern with leaving one (or more?) uninsulated conductors beyond an uninsulated crimp of uninsulated conductors.

I'm used to those crimps in industrial settings with the rubber type cap which I've not seen on EGC applications.
I agree with Mark, the listing is violated until you install the cap, which would probably be tricky without clipping off the protrusion. :D

That said, when I worked with Romex daily I swore by them, and wish the manufacturers would fix this little violation for us. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.