Two kinds of customers

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdslotz

If a thread goes off topic it may get closed. If you or others have no information to add that will keep it on topic it is not necessarily your fault the thread ran away in another direction. They will probably be lenient with this post even though it is not the topic of the thread but when it is just horseplay only so much will be tolerated sometimes.

If it would get shut down and you have more to discuss on the topic - start a new thread. Sometimes there is just no interest in a topic or those with an interest just didn't see it, or were not active at the right time to see it.

Why does a thread that the OP starts have to be closed if he chooses to go off subject?
As long as it's civil and keeps going. That's how we converse in real life. We don't walk away when someone gets off topic. At least I don't.
If the OP wants to get back on topic, that should be his call imo.

kwired

Electron manager
Why does a thread that the OP starts have to be closed if he chooses to go off subject?
As long as it's civil and keeps going. That's how we converse in real life. We don't walk away when someone gets off topic. At least I don't.
If the OP wants to get back on topic, that should be his call imo.

I agree. It did not get off topic other than a couple non offensive comments here and there just trying to share a little humor - happens all the time here. Then he changed the topic to please don't close my thread. I guess most of what has been said since then maybe should have been sent via PM?

He presented a good topic, it had some good responses. It is not the only thread to have off topic content and will not be the last. If no one is abusive or too far out of line these can stay off topic for a while. We have to have a little socialization here, a little humor or personal stuff is not that taboo.

OP needs to learn this is a public forum, there are a lot of people out there and he will get feedback he does not like sometimes, and that even if he does not like it he can still learn from it. He also needs to learn if a thread gets closed because of someone else to just let it go - if tht is the worst thing that happens today it has not been that bad of a day- he can always start a new thread.

kwired

Electron manager
If you will take the time to see what I have written here, you will see that I am very thoughtful about my work and my customers. I don't need to be lectured by some kid or some lazy drunk.

I did take the time to see what you have written here, I am not a kid, and I hardly ever drink.

If you don't want off topic content why do you keep provoking off topic resposes?

Read other threads - content goes off topic a lot. Sometimes topic comes back sometimes it doesn't.

I have nothing else to say about the original topic for now so unless something else comes up that is on topic ....

you can be the one to get the original topic back on track.

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

i used to do a lot of work cheap, just to stay busy. often writing the list and letting ho get materials. often what happened is the ho got the description messed up at the supply house, or forget/lost list and i'd wind up w/ the wrong stuff. it didn't work. estimates became a hassle, people wanted bids on replacing a few outlets (not gonna happen)

kwired

Electron manager
i used to do a lot of work cheap, just to stay busy. often writing the list and letting ho get materials. often what happened is the ho got the description messed up at the supply house, or forget/lost list and i'd wind up w/ the wrong stuff. it didn't work. estimates became a hassle, people wanted bids on replacing a few outlets (not gonna happen)

Correct. People do not realize even though you may only be a one man business, you are a business and not a sucker. If you want to know how much replacing a few outlets is going to cost - I will give you a guesstimate and don't expect me to strictly stick to the number I give you. If you want a real bid - I can spend more time investigating that nothing unexpected will turn up and you can have it done for more than it will likely cost otherwise.

(See how easy it is to get back on topic)

cdslotz

Back in the day when I ran a service business I charged Trade Service book price on materials.
That's about 50% markup from my cost.
Why would you EVER not mark up your materials and give that to the customers?
Why would you EVER let customers furnish materials?
If the customers want to go price compare at Home Depot and then bitch about how much you charge, then let them DIY.
Before big box stores, electrical distributors protected EC's pricing, so walk in's would pay retail price.

As much as I hate flat rate pricing when a plumber comes to my house and charges me $350 to unclog a drain, and another $50 if he has to snake it from a roof vent, they have the right idea.

kwired

Electron manager
Back in the day when I ran a service business I charged Trade Service book price on materials.
That's about 50% markup from my cost.
Why would you EVER not mark up your materials and give that to the customers?
Why would you EVER let customers furnish materials?
If the customers want to go price compare at Home Depot and then bitch about how much you charge, then let them DIY.
Before big box stores, electrical distributors protected EC's pricing, so walk in's would pay retail price.

As much as I hate flat rate pricing when a plumber comes to my house and charges me $350 to unclog a drain, and another $50 if he has to snake it from a roof vent, they have the right idea.

Exactly. How many people bring their car in for an oil change and bring their own oil, or go to a steakhouse and bring their own steak? Don't laugh some people will do this.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I had a pretty good customer that called my one time and told me that he knew I was busy and he had called another guy to replace a time clock for his pool and that the other guy wanted "$100" to do it. I told him to hold on that I would be there in a couple of hours and that I could do it cheaper. I looked at it and told him that I had to go get some parts and that I would be right back. He asked if I needed any money and I told him no that I was ok and that I would bill him when I got back. He said no and handed me a $100 bill, I told him that was to much and that I had already told him I could do it cheaper. He said well the other guy was gonna charge me $100 so I'd just as soon give it to you.

But then of course we've all had the customer that didn't say a word during the install, but suddenly wasn't happy with the final results once you handed them the bill.:roll:

cdslotz

I had a pretty good customer that called my one time and told me that he knew I was busy and he had called another guy to replace a time clock for his pool and that the other guy wanted "$100" to do it. I told him to hold on that I would be there in a couple of hours and that I could do it cheaper. I looked at it and told him that I had to go get some parts and that I would be right back. He asked if I needed any money and I told him no that I was ok and that I would bill him when I got back. He said no and handed me a $100 bill, I told him that was to much and that I had already told him I could do it cheaper. He said well the other guy was gonna charge me $100 so I'd just as soon give it to you.

But then of course we've all had the customer that didn't say a word during the install, but suddenly wasn't happy with the final results once you handed them the bill.:roll:

Looks like you made about $10 profit. Awesome!

growler

Looks like you made about $10 profit. Awesome!

I was thinking the same thing:blink: $100 to change a time clock is too cheap to begin with and he offered to do it cheaper? Maybe he is a non profit biz:thumbsup:

I think he is talking about a job from many years ago. You know back when you could buy several tanks of gas with a $100 and not just a half tank of regular. :happyno:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I think he is talking about a job from many years ago. You know back when you could buy several tanks of gas with a $100 and not just a half tank of regular. :happyno:

That and you noticed I put quotation marks around the "$100". I'm not telling you guys what I charge, then you'll all want to make what I make.:happyno: You would starve of course.:lol:

KVA

That and you noticed I put quotation marks around the "$100". I'm not telling you guys what I charge, then you'll all want to make what I make.:happyno: You would starve of course.:lol:

I live clear across the country far far away from never never land cali:lol:

iwire

Staff member
One of my goals (besides the obvious venting) was to see if I could actually start a topic that didn't get closed or deleted like a few of my other posts. Man, it feels good!

Looks like you blew it.

If you will take the time to see what I have written here, you will see that I am very thoughtful about my work and my customers. I don't need to be lectured by some kid or some lazy drunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.