Two kitchen counter circuits required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
frizbeedog said:
At a minimum both of the (SA) circuits must terminate in at least one receptacle for the counter top.
I agree with that. It is not explicitly stated in the code that this must be done, but the wording of the code essentially pushes us into this situation.
frizbeedog said:
Whether you require more, or dedicated circuits for specific appliances, or install other allowable outlets on these circuits, they both must hit the countertop at least once.
I am not sure what you mean by this. Let me say that once you have the first two SA circuits, and once you have at least one countertop receptacle on each of these first two SA circuits, you can install additional SA circuits, and these additional SA circuits need not supply any countertop receptacles. You can, for example, use one 20 amp circuit to supply nothing other than receptacles in the dining room.

I don't think that contradicts what you were trying to say. But I wanted to clarify that point.

hillbilly

480sparky said:
You don't do to many Vikings, do you? Photo shows two units, one refrigerator, one freezer in a matched, side-by-side configuration.
DSC04980a-1.jpg

Vikingspec.gif

Funny thing is....If not for the manufacturer spec.
requiring a dedicated 15A circuit....

That fridge could be on one of the two required small appliance circuits that power the kitchen counter and dining room receptacles.

With a rating of 9.9 amps, the code allows it to be added to a 20A circuit that feeds other receptacles.

If the OP had added only one counter receptacle to the fridge circuit, he would be OK.

Just a opinion
steve

480sparky

hillbilly said:
Funny thing is....If not for the manufacturer spec.
requiring a dedicated 15A circuit....

That fridge could be on one of the two required small appliance circuits that power the kitchen counter and dining room receptacles.

With a rating of 9.9 amps, the code allows it to be added to a 20A circuit that feeds other receptacles.

If the OP had added only one counter receptacle to the fridge circuit, he would be OK.

Just a opinion
steve

True, but when you've got a HO plopping down 7 figures for a shack in the woods, an couple extra 20a circuits for both the fridge and freezer find their way into the bid awfully easy.:smile:

hillbilly

480sparky said:
True, but when you've got a HO plopping down 7 figures for a shack in the woods, an couple extra 20a circuits for both the fridge and freezer find their way into the bid awfully easy.:smile:

I agree, and I would be the first to include them.

My response was in reply to the OP's question as to what the electrical code did and did not require.

Just because the code allows it doesn't make it good design.

steve

frizbeedog

A Clearer Picture

A Clearer Picture

charlie b said:

I agree with that. It is not explicitly stated in the code that this must be done, but the wording of the code essentially pushes us into this situation.

I am not sure what you mean by this. Let me say that once you have the first two SA circuits, and once you have at least one countertop receptacle on each of these first two SA circuits, you can install additional SA circuits, and these additional SA circuits need not supply any countertop receptacles. You can, for example, use one 20 amp circuit to supply nothing other than receptacles in the dining room.

I don't think that contradicts what you were trying to say. But I wanted to clarify that point.

That's what I was going for. Thanks for adding to make that clearer. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.