Votes: 49 87.5%
  • 4 pieces of scrap wire spliced together

Votes: 7 12.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

zog

I will be shocked if you can make a neutral poll on this subject. :grin:

Feel free to create your own, but the issue of the last thread and poll was a short run and weather it is professional to use scrap wire to do the job. The # of pieces was never known but it was multpile splices for sure.

I do not want the poll to be biased either, I just want to see what is viewed as professional by the EC's out there.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I added a couple of scenarios for a more even look at the overall picture. :grin:

Roger

zog

OK now who ever changed my poll is being biased, if you have damage or an obstruction was never part of the "using scrap wire" thread and leaves you little choice. The OP was about a new installation and using scrap wire.

zog

This was the OP that started the discussion, the debate became is this professional or not. The NEC requirement is not under debate here.

we normally run 1 continuous 8/3 romex to our new home ovens...we have so much scrap (in varying lengths) i was thinking of making some spliced runs.....are there restrictions in the number of splices we can make??...

Your poll is way more biased than mine was and has little to do with the issue here, which is professionalism.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If the wire is new, it is new, if there is more than one piece of new wire in a run it is not an unprofessional installation.

Now anybody can stretch the case scenarios into the ridiculous and make it unprofessional in order to get a manipulated consensus.

Roger

zog

If the wire is new, it is new, if there is more than one piece of new wire in a run it is not an unprofessional installation.

Now anybody can stretch the case scenarios into the ridiculous and make it unprofessional in order to get a manipulated consensus.

Roger

No, I am trying to make this unbiased, you edited my poll to get the answer you want by adding senarios that have nothing to do with my question regarding the above quoted post.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
No, I am trying to make this unbiased, you edited my poll to get the answer you want by adding senarios that have nothing to do with my question regarding the above quoted post.

So let me get this straight, you are asking specifically about four pieces of new wire, not three, or some other number and the reason for the splice(s) are unknown?

Roger

cadpoint

I'm spoiled, i work with new construction and in most cases its a new complete circuit. (OK-sometimes there's junken boxs to a/for run home(s).
Troughs and large junks box are not normal, they might be installed in new construction, but more and more they turn into pull points.

I would avoid those joints, and would I think most would put in a new complete circuit at least nine out of ten times.

Nothing wrong with a splice, I don't understand your continuing line of thought here, ZOG... :D

Big, clear your calendar and come East, June 12th ...

zog

So let me get this straight, you are asking specifically about four pieces of new wire, not three, or some other number and the reason for the splice(s) are unknown?

Roger

Why do you keep ignoring what started this entire debate?

we normally run 1 continuous 8/3 romex to our new home ovens...we have so much scrap (in varying lengths) i was thinking of making some spliced runs.....are there restrictions in the number of splices we can make??...

He later stated the runs were about 60 feet. The above quote says splices, plural, so more than one, which means at least 3 pieces of scrap. No one damaged the run, thee is no obstruction mentioned, the question is about weather or not using the scrap (In varing lengths) is viewed as professional or not.

Basically what I want to know is what is more important to people, pride in workmanship or saving a few dollars wherever necessary as long as the minimum requirements of the NEC are met. You have made it very obvious where you stand.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Okay, just so you can get the answer your after I removed the other options. ;)

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
You have made it very obvious where you stand.

Yes I have and I am not ashamed of my stance. I have enough confidence in my abilities and that a splice I make will not fail, and if there is a good reason to splice new wire I will.

Roger

jumper

I just want to see what is viewed as professional by the EC's out there.

Well, since I am not an EC nor do I work for one, I guess I am not invited to this party.:grin:

I am done with this subject anyways.

I am going back to the PV transformer thread and see if Bob has explained that mysterious bond. (hint)

zog

So zog is this the poll you wrote?

And you see that as unbiased? :grin::grin::grin::grin:

Well, yeah, I do. I giess you don't, have a suggestion on how to make it unbiased while keeping on track of the OP that started it all (I have quoted it enough times this thread)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Zog, the wire cost the same whether it is on one spool or multiple spools. :roll: Therefor, since splices add expense to the job, and if cost is a sign of a good installation, splices would be the way to go.

Roger

zog

Zog, the wire cost the same whether it is on one spool or multiple spools. :roll: Therefor, since splices add expense to the job, and if cost is a sign of a good installation, splices would be the way to go.

Roger

Good, so there should never be a reason to use splices. :)

I give up, where is the white flag smiley face? You and Iwire will just keep twisting this (No pun intended) to avoid the real question. Which I have re-stated over and over. Is using scrap wire, multiple splices, in a new installation 60 foot run to a range seen as professional or not.

growler

Is using scrap wire, multiple splices, in a new installation 60 foot run to a range seen as professional or not.

A professional does a job as a means of earning a living or to be profitable.

An amateur is one that does a job for the love of doing so with no thought to being paid or making a profit.

When you talk of professional you really should look at why the job is being done and by whom. Job cost may not be a concern for the amateur but they are for the professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.