Understanding 680.26(c)

Status
Not open for further replies.

frizbeedog

cadpoint said:
If you bonded the/a grid would you not be ahead of the minimum ! ? ?

You might be wasting your time since a self contained spa like the one they're talking about doesn't need a grid.

M. D.

frizbeedog said:
You might be wasting your time since a self contained spa like the one they're talking about doesn't need a grid.

Why?? It is outside ,..680.42 (pretty sure no book in front of me) sends us to,.. in part 680.26

In 2008 nec the damn grid needs to be installed under non paved surfaces like grass and such.

I think I understand what you are saying ,.. lets see to make sure .. double insulated pump, plastic everything , nothing to bond to any grid I guess these tubs will have to have a 9in square piece of metal submerged in water ,...so that grid can do something.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
frizbeedog said:
I don't believe this is true. The grid is still required. There is no relief for not installing the grid. Perhaps it needs to be put there in case a replacement pump is put in that is not double insulated.

NEC 2008 680.26(6)(a) said:
Double-Insulated Water Pump Motors. Where a double-insulated water pump motor is installed under the provisions of this rule, a solid 8 AWG copper conductor of sufficient length to make a bonding connection to a replacement motor shall be extended from the bonding grid to an accessible point in the vicinity of the pool pump motor. Where there is no connection between the swimming pool bonding grid and the equipment grounding system for the premises, this bonding conductor shall be connected to the equipment grounding conductor of the motor circuit.

Last edited:

frizbeedog

M. D. said:
Why?? It is outside ,..680.42 (pretty sure no book in front of me) sends us to,.. in part 680.26

In 2008 nec the damn grid needs to be installed under non paved surfaces like grass and such.

I think I understand what you are saying ,.. lets see to make sure .. double insulated pump, plastic everything , nothing to bond to any grid I guess these tubs will have to have a 9in square piece of metal submerged in water ,...so that grid can do something.

At this point I'm not sure what I'm saying. I guess you'd have to define the grid for me. Cause what I thought it was it probably ain't. We are talking about a spa they wheel in, set on the ground and connect to power. Right.

The copper grid? 680.26 (B)(1) (b)?

frizbeedog

Dennis Alwon said:
I don't believe this is true. The grid is still required. There is no relief for not installing the grid. Perhaps it needs to be put there in case a replacement pump is put in that is not double insulated.

Thank you Dennis. No more Spas for me until I master all those highlights in the 08. :smile:

I'll shut up now.

M. D.

frizbeedog
"At this point I'm not sure what I'm saying. I guess you'd have to define the grid for me. Cause what I thought it was it probably ain't. We are talking about a spa they wheel in, set on the ground and connect to power. Right

The copper grid? 680.26 (B)(1) (b)?"
Yup, and it requires a bonding grid if installed outside ...even if ,as Dennis pointed out ,..it is for the future,.. or as I have pointed out , even if it is just to bond the water .... getting a bit absurd if you ask me.

Last edited:

frizbeedog

M. D. said:
Yup, and it requires a bonding grid if installed outside ...even ,as Dennis pointed out ,..it is for the future,.. or as I have pointed out , even if it is just to bond the water .... getting a bit absurd if you ask me.

It will make it interesting when they call you up to connnect the tub and you see that it's already set and ready to go and you then ask about the grid and they stare blankly back at you.

"What do you mean I have to move the tub to install a grid?"

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
frizbeedog said:
"What do you mean I have to move the tub to install a grid?"

And yet another reason why you need to know what your doing before you install a hot tub. Around here the swimming pool companies do all the bonding and install the pool lights to the brass box. We just take it from there.

Unfortunately a tub can be set down by just about anyone and that's where the problems begin. Last tub I did I used a entire 250' of #8 copper to build the grid under the pavers. HO was not happy but he could not tell me where he would put the tub so I did the entire area.

iwire

Staff member
Dennis Alwon said:
Around here the swimming pool companies do all the bonding and install the pool lights to the brass box.

Are they using licensed electricians, pulling permits and having the work inspected?

Here only electricians can do electrical work. (Well there are a few exceptions)

stickboy1375

Dennis Alwon said:
And yet another reason why you need to know what your doing before you install a hot tub. Around here the swimming pool companies do all the bonding and install the pool lights to the brass box.

Hmm, I find this comment interesting.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
iwire said:
Are they using licensed electricians, pulling permits and having the work inspected?

Here only electricians can do electrical work. (Well there are a few exceptions)

There is a special license for pool companies that they must get that allow s them to do pools only. A very limited license if you will.

stickboy1375

Dennis Alwon said:
There is a special license for pool companies that they must get that allow s them to do pools only. A very limited license if you will.

One of the harder sections in the NEC, and they allow high school kids to perform it... thats pretty nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.