Unfinished

Status
Not open for further replies.

resistance

Hypo:
Lets say you have a home with a basement that is fully rocked (Sheet that is). All rooms have wood flooring accept a 12 foot hall that has a decorative concrete floor (Decorative meaning: They simply made the concrete look nice). Would you consider the hall unfinished--requiring it to have a GFCI protected outlet??? Note: This is not a situation I'm in, just curious

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Hypo:
Lets say you have a home with a basement that is fully rocked (Sheet that is). All rooms have wood flooring accept a 12 foot hall that has a decorative concrete floor (Decorative meaning: They simply made the concrete look nice). Would you consider the hall unfinished--requiring it to have a GFCI protected outlet??? Note: This is not a situation I'm in, just curious

The floor has nothing to do with it being finished. The hall would not need gfci protection since it is finished.

iwire

Staff member
What I consider is unimportant, but in a resi app, the inspector here considers any concrete floor as unfinished: GFCI.

There is a large shopping mall we work at a lot and the local inspector requires GFCI protection for all receptacles on 'unfinished' cement slabs.

If there is no rug or tile we install GFCI protection.

resistance

Interesting responses. Personally, I don't think we would have a problem getting it passed without GFCI protection. But (with focus on the location of the space), should we consider the concrete floor---seeing that concrete is conductive?

resistance

There is a large shopping mall we work at a lot and the local inspector requires GFCI protection for all receptacles on 'unfinished' cement slabs.

If there is no rug or tile we install GFCI protection.
Exactly where I was going. So, should we say that the floor dictates rather a space is unfinished when it comes to bare floor being in contact with earth?

iwire

Staff member
Exactly where I was going. So, should we say that the floor dictates rather a space is unfinished when it comes to bare floor being in contact with earth?

In the case of the mall I believe the inspector is going well past actual code requirements. We just do it and pass the cost up the chain to the customer. Not worth fighting it, when this inspector started in the trade he was wiring homes for cavemen. :grin:

resistance

in the case of the mall i believe the inspector is going well past actual code requirements. We just do it and pass the cost up the chain to the customer. Not worth fighting it, when this inspector started in the trade he was wiring homes for cavemen. :grin:

lol!! Ic!! :d

jumper

How? Unless it's a local amendment, there's nothing in the IRC requiring floor covering:-?

In the case of the mall I believe the inspector is going well past actual code requirements. We just do it and pass the cost up the chain to the customer. Not worth fighting it, when this inspector started in the trade he was wiring homes for cavemen. :grin:

Rcarrol, for the same reason Bob stated.

resistance

Are houses built on slabs requiring GFCI protection for every receptacle?
Many questions can be raised related to my question. I'm really looking at the the purpose for a GFCI--as it relates to unfinished spaces that are most likely built on slab, with no floor covering (bare floor exposed). And why it's enforced as required for some areas but not others. I used the basement hallway to get around other mandates for a garage.

Interesting to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.