Upsize EGC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Anyone know the impedance of steel EMT versus aluminum EMT versus RMC versus GRC versus IMC versus coated versions? I can guarantee they vary. But in the NEC's eyes, they don't care about the impedance, as long as the raceways are upsized proportionally. No science behind it...

back of "Soars book on grounding & bonding" has really good charts on the conduits.

For example:

you can have maximum of 231' of 1/2" EMT that can be used as an EGC that will operate the 15A OCPD with a 75A fault current.

I will try to post the tables.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

mark32

Here is a better example:

Suppose I have a 500 foot run of #6 circuit conductors, with a #10 ground wire to some pole lights.

If I put those #6 wires on a 60 Amp breaker, then it is Code-compliant.

But if I were to downsize that breaker to a 30 Amp, the Code would require me to upsize the EGC to a #6!

#10 EGC on a 60 Amp circuit is fine. But it's a violation on a 30 Amp circuit???

You just blew my mind with that one!

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician

Suppose I have a 500 foot run of #6 circuit conductors, with a #10 ground wire to some pole lights.

But if I were to downsize that breaker to a 30 Amp, the Code would require me to upsize the EGC to a #6!

#10 EGC on a 60 Amp circuit is fine. But it's a violation on a 30 Amp circuit???

You just blew my mind with that one!
Crazy huh! Every time this discussion comes up the mention of voltage drop and needing enough current to trip a breaker is brought up, but then it turns out that a bigger breaker is all that is needed to make the installation safe. Crazy!

Funny. but you have to remember its talking about upsizing not downsizing. One would ask, what would be the reason you had to use #6 for the 30amp breaker, (vd, etc..) . So in the real world I still see the language covering and making senses in most cases.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Funny. but you have to remember its talking about upsizing not downsizing. One would ask, what would be the reason you had to use #6 for the 30amp breaker, (vd, etc..) . So in the real world I still see the language covering and making senses in most cases.
So what are you saying? A #10 carries enough current to trip a 60A breaker at 500' or 600' or a thousand feet but not enough to trip a 30A? This makes sense how?

So what are you saying? A #10 carries enough current to trip a 60A breaker at 500' or 600' or a thousand feet but not enough to trip a 30A? This makes sense how?

I never said that, nor was it implied. I just basically said that if you started out with a 30 amp breaker feed, and upsized the wire, what would be the reason for upsizing the wire. I do see you guys point about the wording of the article that needs improvement. However, I still think it would cover most cases in the real world.

Its kinda ironic, I remember asking these same questions some time ago about the upsizing of the egc and thinking that article needs some work/rewriting.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Its kinda ironic, I remember asking these same questions some time ago about the upsizing of the egc and thinking that article needs some work/rewriting.
I agree.
The easiest fix would be to make T250.122 work like T250.66. That is the EGC size would be based on the size of the largest circuit conductor. The size of the OCPD would not enter into the sizing of the EGC.
This seems reasonable enough. While I don't think it is perfect it is better than the current rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.