Urban myth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Mike-
Is it an "urban myth" that branch feeder wires and branch circuit conductors cannot share the same enclosures (gutters, junctionboxes, etc.) I cannot find a reference in the NEC for this. :-?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Richard
Welcome to the Forum..
change your "feeder" to "service" and look at NEC 230.50

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

Mike is very busy and doesn't very often post here, so I hope you don't mind if I try to answer your question.

So to put it simply, Yes it is an urban myth that feeder conductors and branch circuit conductors can't occupy the same raceway or enclosure.

You can't have service conductors and non service conductors in the same raceway or cable. (See 230.7)

Chris

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree, urban legend or electrical urban myth take your pick. For what it's worth there are hundreds of them. :)

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Welcome to the forum.:)

Mike is very busy and doesn't very often post here, so I hope you don't mind if I try to answer your question.

So to put it simply, Yes it is an urban myth that feeder conductors and branch circuit conductors can't occupy the same raceway or enclosure.

You can't have service conductors and non service conductors in the same raceway or cable. (See 230.7)

Chris

Has Mike-H ever posted here? What is his screen name?

physis

Hi Mike-
Is it an "urban myth" that branch feeder wires and branch circuit conductors cannot share the same enclosures (gutters, junctionboxes, etc.) I cannot find a reference in the NEC for this. :-?

So much for them old fashioned breaker panels. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.