using 75 degree rating for conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickboy1375

It would make it less confusing if they just insisted on the circuit being run in a minimum of 12awg. I must say I have never seen an inground pool done with anything less than a 20 amp circuit.

I would also love to know why an inground pool of 20 amps or less must be gfci protected when we know they make gfci up to 50 amp.

Also there is no 3 phase gfci so no larger pools are gfci protected so why do we need it?? i have no issues using it but before 2005 we never wired the pumps with GFCI-- Why now since none of the other pools above 20 amp need it.

Economics, if you sold GFI's, you would want them required as much as possible. :)

iwire

Staff member
I would also love to know why an inground pool of 20 amps or less must be gfci protected when we know they make gfci up to 50 amp.

Also there is no 3 phase gfci so no larger pools are gfci protected so why do we need it?? i have no issues using it but before 2005 we never wired the pumps with GFCI-- Why now since none of the other pools above 20 amp need it.

I have never seen one, but there are 3P GFCI breakers up to 50 amps.

http://static.schneider-electric.us...eakers/QO-QOB Circuit Breakers/0730HO0901.pdf

I have no clue why they are not required, compared to resi pools.

My guess is that 3 phase and / or 30 amp and greater pool pumps are typically installed and serviced by professionals where the smaller pumps are often worked on by homeowners.

But it is just a guess.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
My guess is that 3 phase and / or 30 amp and greater pool pumps are typically installed and serviced by professionals where the smaller pumps are often worked on by homeowners.

But it is just a guess.

Could be but they left a loophole by allowing a 25 amp breaker without GFCI. Apparently the cir. size is based on the OCPD rather than the wire size...210.3

Status
Not open for further replies.