Utility/Generator

I have a utility service, 3 phase 4 wire. Grounded at point of connection. A generator has been added and the owner installed the generator himself. He grounded the generator. Should the generator and the serving utility both be grounded?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The scenario you described would require a transfer switch that will switch the neutral. IOW'S you have a Separately Derived System.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Agree with roger but the term 'customer grounded the generator' did bring some possibilities. By that are you saying neutral output of the generator is grounded at the generator ? (as opposed to a ground rod being connected to the frame..a common customer install practice)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Either you switch the neutral and each source is bonded and earthed, or you don't switch the neutral and the load side is bonded and earthed.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Either you switch the neutral and each source is bonded and earthed, or you don't switch the neutral and the load side is bonded and earthed.
Are you saying bond on the transfer switch load side if not switching the neutral?
Which will work.
But I would bond in the utility disconnect in front of the transfer switch if I wasn't switching the neutral.