VA Master's Exam Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

octane

Hey guys, I have a question maybe you can help me with. I am getting ready to take the VA master's test in a couple weeks. The test is given by PSI, and they say that it is based off of the 2002 and 2005 NEC. It is an open book test. I currently only have a 2008 edition, which I've highlighted and tabbed. Would I be able to use that? If not, would just the 2005 edition suffice? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

bthouse

I took the MO master's. Tabs and highlights are ok. You just cannot have ANY hand writing in your code book. So, as long as your 2008 book is free of handwritten notes you'll be fine with it. However, if it's based on the 2005 code I would use a 2005 code book. Good luck.

octane

Thanks for the info guys. I'm gonna go grab a 2005 NEC and go with that. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

debra

Help

Help

Where in the code book can I find:
For a wyre start, delta-run connected motor, the conductors between the controller and the motor shall be based on what % of the motor full-load current?

a) 50%
B) 58%
C)64%
D)72%

I choose A = 50%

radiopet

430.22(C)
(C) Wye-Start, Delta-Run Motor. For a wye-start, deltarun
connected motor, the selection of branch-circuit conductors
on the line side of the controller shall be based on
the motor full-load current. The selection of conductors
between the controller and the motor shall be based on
58 percent of the motor full-load current.

steelersman

I took the MO master's. Tabs and highlights are ok. You just cannot have ANY hand writing in your code book. So, as long as your 2008 book is free of handwritten notes you'll be fine with it. However, if it's based on the 2005 code I would use a 2005 code book. Good luck.
when I took the VA test I had some notes in my code book and they didn't even check and I didn't know or care wether or not it was allowed.

dcspector

when I took the VA test I had some notes in my code book and they didn't even check and I didn't know or care wether or not it was allowed.

Funny you brought that up they just looked at what color my book was....Red......I have the Tom Henry tabbed hi-lighted with key word Index which is permissable to use in exams. That was it.

steelersman

Funny you brought that up they just looked at what color my book was....Red......I have the Tom Henry tabbed hi-lighted with key word Index which is permissable to use in exams. That was it.
yeah they didn't look at my book at all. Didn't open it or anything. For all they know I could of had pages of notebook paper with all kinds of ingormation inside my codebook. I just had some notes that I had scribbled on the actual pages of my NEC from when I had taken my 4th year of schooling.

dcspector

yeah they didn't look at my book at all. Didn't open it or anything. For all they know I could of had pages of notebook paper with all kinds of ingormation inside my codebook. I just had some notes that I had scribbled on the actual pages of my NEC from when I had taken my 4th year of schooling.

Agree with that....I could of had a gun in my book to shoot myself if I thought I flunked.
The DC's masters is rediculous, I got strip searched. Also, it is set up for one to fail.

steelersman

Agree with that....I could of had a gun in my book to shoot myself if I thought I flunked.
The DC's masters is rediculous, I got strip searched. Also, it is set up for one to fail.
I hear you on that. Although i've never taken it and I don't think I will ever try to, but the stories that I hear make me 100% believe that they are corrupt and they want you to have to pay again to retake it. And when you think about how corrupt the whole city is it makes perfect sense. I heard they charge like $200 to take the test. VA is only $80 I think and that goes to the testing agency I think not even to the state like DC's does.

dcspector

I hear you on that. Although i've never taken it and I don't think I will ever try to, but the stories that I hear make me 100% believe that they are corrupt and they want you to have to pay again to retake it. And when you think about how corrupt the whole city is it makes perfect sense. I heard they charge like $200 to take the test. VA is only $80 I think and that goes to the testing agency I think not even to the state like DC's does.

Agreed!

You outta work here...:mad::confused:...There are a lot of things I could say but won't.....just thankful to have a job right now.

steelersman

Agreed!

You outta work here...:mad::confused:...There are a lot of things I could say but won't.....just thankful to have a job right now.
no we still are getting our 40 hours. I think we are fortunate that we pretty much only work at federal govt. jobsites. Our bread and butter is at the Pentagon, but there are other jobs that are sporadic that a couple of guys will go to for maybe a day or two a week at NIH and right accross the street also at the Naval Hospital in Bethesda and AFRRI which is part of the Naval Hospital I believe or at least it's on the same campus. All of our work is for Johnson Controls. Pretty much all low voltage.

brian john

I am a believer in using any book for the open book section anything you have available for use in the field should be usable in a test.
One of the early masters test I took in the early 70's did not allow calculators. Those new fangled devices were verboten.

Status
Not open for further replies.