Very unusual accessibility situation

nietzj

Occupation
Electrician
The contractor installed a beefed-up ceiling grid to support heavy ceiling tiles. Now the hinged covers to the 2x4 LED light luminaires are not able to be opened. The heavy grid is just wide enough to cover the clips holding the cover. Since the NEC calls a luminare equipment it falls under the definition : Accessible (as applied to equipment) That definition only states "Capable of being reached for operation, renewal, and inspection." In 40 years of being an electrician I have never seen this situation. My question is would physically removing a luminaire to work on it be considered "Capable" I don't think the authors of this definition considered this dilemma. On a side note the owner is willing to accept this knowing it will be more expensive to service the lights.
Note; either replacing the grid or replacing the lights is going to cost $60-$80k, it's a large lab room which is basically completed.

Last edited:

nietzj

Occupation
Electrician
Funny, I think this is going to come down to the definition of Capable. One other detail is the manufactures specs for the lights tell you which grids are acceptable and the current ceiling grid does not comply.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If it can be removed then it's capable of being worked on. The grid type is a different issue.

NTesla76

Occupation
Electrics
Are the 2x4 fixtures clipped to the grid with the attached clips? Or are you using screws to hold the fixture to the grid?

nietzj

Occupation
Electrician
The fixtures come with a tab you can fold over the grid plus they are independently supported with wires.
Are the 2x4 fixtures clipped to the grid with the attached clips? Or are you using screws to hold the fixture to the grid?

nietzj

Occupation
Electrician
In all seriousness, anything in a building is "capable" of being serviced if you're willing to dismantle/damage whatever obstacle stands in your way to access it. The definition of Accessible as applied to wiring methods makes way more sense. (without damaging the building or finishes)
If it can be removed then it's capable of being worked on.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
In all seriousness, anything in a building is "capable" of being serviced if you're willing to dismantle/damage whatever obstacle stands in your way to access it. The definition of Accessible as applied to wiring methods makes way more sense. (without damaging the building or finishes)
I'm not sure why having to lift out the fixture to service it is a violation which seems to be your point unless I'm misunderstanding it.

nietzj

Occupation
Electrician
I'm not sure why having to lift out the fixture to service it is a violation
The issue is the wider grid prevents the hinged cover from the fixture from opening. 110.26 (A) (2) tells me electrical equipment (which a luminaire is described as) with a hinged cover must be able to be opened 90 degrees. I assume that means when it's installed, not taken down and serviced on a bench. Like I said, very unusual accessibility issue. If you applied this same logic to other electrical equipment my point my be easier to understand. How about a disconnect with a hinged cover that's blocked from opening, if you remove the installed disconnect from the wall and set it on a bench no problem with the cover. This is how I see it.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Are the fixtures led tape lights inside? Theoretically the LED last a long time so the fixture could just be replaced when they go bad....Not a good solution, IMO.

I am thinking if the instruction for the fixture specifies which grids can be used then it is not compliant.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The issue is the wider grid prevents the hinged cover from the fixture from opening. 110.26 (A) (2) tells me electrical equipment (which a luminaire is described as) with a hinged cover must be able to be opened 90 degree
IMO that argument is weak. It is not related to a luminaire because luminaires do not require 30" of width for working space.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Two issues. The small LED and the driver wiring box sounds to be seperate pieces. The Light not a problem as long as it still can be pulled out. The seperate driver is also a junction box. That requires accessabilty per 314.29
314.29(A) In Buildings and Other Structures.
Boxes and conduit bodies shall be installed so the contained wiring and devices are accessible. Boxes and conduit bodies that are recessed into or behind finished surfaces of buildings shall have access to their internal contents maintained by openings in their covers and in the building finish that comply with 314.29(A)(1), (A)(2), or (A)(3) as applicable. Removable finished covers and faceplates that maintain this access shall be permitted.

The removable ceiling tiles would be accessible except for the fact that the grid makes the box not accessible. You have two accessible issues:

Accessible (as applied to equipment).
Capable of being reached for operation, renewal, and inspection. (CMP-1)
Accessible (as applied to wiring methods).
Capable of being removed or exposed without damaging the building structure or finish or not permanently closed in or blocked by the structure, other electrical equipment, other building systems, or finish of the building. (CMP-1)

To me, the addition of the different grid and tile made the electrical installation noncompliant related to the driver boxes of the LED lighting, but not related directly to the LED itself.

nietzj

Occupation
Electrician
Yes, this is an LED fixture. The driver is located on the top outside of the fixture and can be accessed by simply lifting out a ceiling tile. There are other components located inside the hinged cover which would require the fixture to be removed to service. This is certainly not a serious code violation but I do think it's non-compliant. Like I mentioned I don't think (CMP-1) had even thought of this scenario when writing the Accessible definition. I don't think this warrant's a new light fixture or replacing the grid at this point but it would have been nice if the electrical contractor brought this up earlier in the project for discussion.

brycenesbitt

Are the fixtures led tape lights inside? Theoretically the LED last a long time....

Theoretically.
It's not necessarily the LED itself that burns out, but capacitors and logic. The fixture may flicker for example.
But to the OP's point there may be nothing to "service" in there. Hopefully the building ordered extra for
backstock and the unit will be swapped.

Knightryder12

Occupation
Sr. Electrical Designer/Project Manager
The contractor installed a beefed-up ceiling grid to support heavy ceiling tiles. Now the hinged covers to the 2x4 LED light luminaires are not able to be opened. The heavy grid is just wide enough to cover the clips holding the cover. Since the NEC calls a luminare equipment it falls under the definition : Accessible (as applied to equipment) That definition only states "Capable of being reached for operation, renewal, and inspection." In 40 years of being an electrician I have never seen this situation. My question is would physically removing a luminaire to work on it be considered "Capable" I don't think the authors of this definition considered this dilemma. On a side note the owner is willing to accept this knowing it will be more expensive to service the lights.
Note; either replacing the grid or replacing the lights is going to cost $60-$80k, it's a large lab room which is basically completed.
Is this some sort of clean room? If so, the ceiling grid type and light fixtures should have been coordinated. Also, it it is a clean room, having to remove the light fixture to service it could be a major issue down the road.