Wall mount tv tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

Up to this point I've only installed one wall mount flat screen tv and have been asked to install another but not before researching a couple of things first.
I noticed during the maiden install that the kit came with huge lag bolts. I drilled pilot holes and snapped one bolt after another only half way into the wooden stud. I downsized one size (In length I believe) and that one snapped as well, so I had to go another size down in order to get the thing mounted. Has anyone had this problem and if so what size lags do you use as I can't recall which one I used.
Also, how do you determine the correct mounting height for these?
When running a/v cables and power inside the wall, do you concern yourself with separation between them. (I'd be using two separate boxes) and do you feel it's necessary to use those recessed clock receptacles for these installs?

Thank you for your time ~

WinZip

I have done about 10 of those an we pre drill holes for lags and as far a boxes I would use standard boxes but might have to change plug on cord to 90 deg plug so it don't stick out so far you cant mount tv lol

iwire

Staff member
Plastic anchors into the drywall will be plenty. ;)

Seriously sounds like you you should be drilling a pilot hole for lags. :)

luckylerado

I would not use the plastic anchors to hang a diploma. The lags are the way to go. If you buy a cheap mount count on cheap bolts. That is why they are breaking. Bigger pilot holes maybe. I have never had to use clock recepts and definitely keep the low voltage separate from the 120. I will let the wires hide behind the drywall until it is time to trim out and use cut in boxes. Block up the framing so you are not hunting for studs and cut in your boxes above or inside the mount; putting them below the mount will limit the range of motion of a tilt mount. If you use twisted pair for low voltage video try to use cat 6 for better picture but RG-59 or RG-6 is best for RCA jacks. One mistake I see made constantly is people will run a homerun coax to the hanging tv without considering the location of the cable/satellite box. The box gets the homerun then from their to the display. May I also make a suggestion based on what appears to be a trend at least in my area. A lot of people are hooking up PC's to their flatscreens. Providing for a VGA or HDMI connection and a wired internet to the box location is a great idea. TV is free online.

MikeS

Sounds like the pilot holes you're drilling are too small and too shallow. The bit size should be about the same size as the inner core of the screw as viewed through the teeth of the screw. Usually the installation manual gives the size you need.

Be concerned with the separation of LV and power lines, two boxes is best but Pass & Seymour & Arlington make TV boxes that make things neat & tidy too.

macmikeman

Are you buying cheap lag screws?. There are good ones and bad ones. I watch the guy installing the bracing for garage doors sometimes if I am trimming nearby. They use a 1/2 drive impact drill and seem to have no problems at all. And no pilot holes to boot.

mark32

Thanks for the replies. As I said I did drill pilot holes but perhaps they were a little small but the bit did seem to match the lag, I didn't want to go too big for obvious reasons. Speaking of which, the replacements I got were from HD and one of those snapped too. This is old work so I will be cutting the boxes in, running both power and a/v in the same cavity but at opposite sides should be good correct? Any help on mounting height?

sgunsel

An old carpenter's trick is to rub the screw threads with a bar of soap. The lubrication will really make a noticeable difference.

stevenje

Sounds like the pilot holes you're drilling are too small and too shallow. The bit size should be about the same size as the inner core of the screw as viewed through the teeth of the screw. Usually the installation manual gives the size you need.

An old carpenter's trick is to use a little bar hand soap on the threads before installing.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

nyerinfl

Locate the stud locations, usually brackets can hit 2 studs, and secure to studs with 4" drywall screws. Before securing to the studs I hold up the bracket and zig-zag toggle bolts on each of the open slots that did not lang on the stud. Never once used a lag bolt, done too many TVs to count, never had any problems doing it this way, you could do pull-ups on the bracket after you're done.

MAK

never had any problems doing it this way, you could do pull-ups on the bracket after you're done.

15.jpg

Still confident in that statement?:grin:

cadpoint

An old carpenter's trick is to rub the screw threads with a bar of soap. The lubrication will really make a noticeable difference.
Bingo...on the Soap! The drill size should be 1/3th less the core size of the body of the lag bolt. The wood has probably well cured!

satcom

Never. Construction screws, maybe.

There's no real strength in extra screw length; shear strength is more important.

Yup the shear strength is all important, sheet rock screws have almost no shear strength, I would not want to the installer that does not follow the manufactures specs, and the tv falls and injures a child or worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.