washer machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackInTheHabit

elohr46 said:
2005 nec def. receptacle outlet: an outlet where one or more receptacles are installed.

2008 NEC Defintion:

Outlet - A point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment. (No change since 2005)

Utilization Equipment - Equipment that utilizes electric energy for electronic, electromechanical, chemical, heating, lighting or similar purposes.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
stickboy1375 said:
This is the way I read it, at least ONE 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s), This circuit shall have no other outlets. I dont see how you can have any thing BUT receptacles on this circuit or anything other than 20 amp receptacle circuits in the laundry room...

Stickboy, if I run a separate 20 amp branch circuit for the washer that satisfies 210.11(C)(2). No other outlets are installed on this circuit. If I add another receptacle from the lighting circuit I don't see how this would negate 210.11.

stickboy1375

Dennis Alwon said:
Stickboy, if I run a separate 20 amp branch circuit for the washer that satisfies 210.11(C)(2). No other outlets are installed on this circuit. If I add another receptacle from the lighting circuit I don't see how this would negate 210.11.

I realize this can be argued to death, but bare with me :grin:, The only reason why I feel that all the receptacles need to be 20 amp is the way 210.11(C)(2) is written, right off the bat it is says you need at least one 20 amp circuit, then it says it shall be provided to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s). So unless you can define a laundry receptacle outlet, I have to say all receptacles in the laundry room fall under 210.11(C)(2). Correct me if i'm wrong.

stickboy1375

Dennis Alwon said:

One other thing, since when are we providing a receptacle for a washer? We are providing a receptacle for the laundry area.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
stickboy1375 said:
One other thing, since when are we providing a receptacle for a washer? We are providing a receptacle for the laundry area.

Maybe that's what you do but I know that the receptacle I put in by the washer box is used for the washing machine....:smile:

it is says you need at least one 20 amp circuit, then it says it shall be provided to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s).
No it says it shall provide the laundry receptacle outlet(s) required by 210.52(F)

(F) Laundry Areas. In dwelling units, at least one receptacle outlet shall be installed for the laundry.

stickboy1375

Dennis Alwon said:
No it says it shall provide the laundry receptacle outlet(s) required by 210.52(F)

I agree, you do need at least ONE, But when we go back to 210.11(C)(2) it clearly says at least one 20amp circuit shall supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s)

what am I missing? Why is outlet(s) plural?

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
stickboy1375 said:
I agree, you do need at least ONE, But when we go back to 210.11(C)(2) it clearly says at least one 20amp circuit shall supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s)

what am I missing?

I believe that is saying that you can more than one on the circuit for the laundry recep. It does not say that all recep. in the laundry must be on that laundry circuit.

stickboy1375

Dennis Alwon said:
I believe that is saying that you can more than one on the circuit for the laundry recep. It does not say that all recep. in the laundry must be on that laundry circuit.

yeah... tuff one, I understand completely how your reading it, because thats usually how I read it as well. Tonight i'm just having a tough time getting over the "supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s)" part... :grin:

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
I agree with stickboy. I would guess that the intention is that no matter where you are in the laundry area, if you plug something in, it will be on a 20A. I see it as very similar to the rationale for 20A in kitchen, dining room, etc.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.