Water Heaters Sold Only to Electricians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Had a guy tell me that in a neighboring State, in particular the big box stores, that they weren't allowed to sell water heaters to anyone who wasn't a licensed or permitted electrician. I have seen a lot of HO or handyman installations that might make this a good idea but I have not heard of that. The box stores sell a lot of items that a HO shouldn't install unless qualified, I just wondered why just water heaters if this is true. Has anyone here heard of such a rule in any State?

ceb58

I would think they would sell only to plumbers instead of electricians. But it could be good side money black market selling to plumbers:)

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I would think they would sell only to plumbers instead of electricians. But it could be good side money black market selling to plumbers:)

This guy talks so much I might have heard him wrong or I'm trying to weed out the million other things he said. He might have just said licensed and not used the term electrician. He does live right on the border of the neighboring state KY. Anybody on now from Ky that can verify or deny this?

GUNNING

Its for your own good, we are here to take care of you.... Big Brother

Its for your own good, we are here to take care of you.... Big Brother

You can't buy the whole house 200 kbut gas water heaters in FL at the big box stores, only from regulated supply houses. The local AHJ and I guess the state does not want anyone messing with Gas that is not licensed. Heck, I cant even get a motor or a control board from the A/C supply houses. The counter guys wont even acknowledge I'm there even though I have an account with them (Johnson Supply). The Plumbing and A/C trades are locking down there territory.

Had the same problem with the Utilities a few years back before the hurricanes and when diesel was cheap and they were happy to be over regulated. Now its ... " uh, couldn't you just call us when you are done and the meter reader will reseal it when they come around in a few weeks."

Electric-Light

Had a guy tell me that in a neighboring State, in particular the big box stores, that they weren't allowed to sell water heaters to anyone who wasn't a licensed or permitted electrician. I have seen a lot of HO or handyman installations that might make this a good idea

Corporate office can set whatever policy they want, just like Costco and Sam's Club can choose to only sell to members, and they can further limit membership by restrictive conditions, such as you must hold (this and that license), be a student of (this and that school), residents of (whatever area), but I don't believe in further .gov involvement in restricting procurement route for the sake of protecting trades. We're not talking about DEA scheduled or EPA controlled substances.

Do you believe in restricting the sale of motor oil to EPA certified business accounts only to curb illegal disposal and perhaps requiring permits to make repairs to any automobiles registered to operate on public right of way to ensure profitability for the trades?

It's no worse than no self-pump law in Oregon and New Jersey.

HVAC industry likes to restrict parts and equipment supply chain, because of demand by contractors and the manufacture's desire to attract installing contractors, because they know that restricting supply is often effective in causing people to have to call service. So, you can't buy a new condenser fan motor and supply house won't sell it to you when its really not that much more complicated than replacing a radiator fan motor on a car.

Before, you had one option. Call for service.
Now, you have more choice.
1. Order it online and wait a few days without AC
2. Call for service

If its blazing hot, people tend to fall for #2.

Last edited:

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I've never had any trouble buying at HVAC supply, even the ones with "to the trade only" signs. Never tried to buy anything involving refrigeration, just duct and electrical parts (contactors, relays, motors).

Then again I've never asked if they sell to electricians, just said what I wanted & paid.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Quote Originally Posted by Little Bill View Post
Had a guy tell me that in a neighboring State, in particular the big box stores, that they weren't allowed to sell water heaters to anyone who wasn't a licensed or permitted electrician. I have seen a lot of HO or handyman installations that might make this a good idea

Corporate office can set whatever policy they want, just like Costco and Sam's Club can choose to only sell to members, and they can further limit membership by restrictive conditions, such as you must hold (this and that license), be a student of (this and that school), residents of (whatever area), but I don't believe in further .gov involvement in restricting procurement route for the sake of protecting trades. We're not talking about DEA scheduled or EPA controlled substances.

Do you believe in restricting the sale of motor oil to EPA certified business accounts only to curb illegal disposal and perhaps requiring permits to make repairs to any automobiles registered to operate on public right of way to ensure profitability for the trades?

It's no worse than no self-pump law in Oregon and New Jersey.

HVAC industry likes to restrict parts and equipment supply chain, because of demand by contractors and the manufacture's desire to attract installing contractors, because they know that restricting supply is often effective in causing people to have to call service. So, you can't buy a new condenser fan motor and supply house won't sell it to you when its really not that much more complicated than replacing a radiator fan motor on a car.

Before, you had one option. Call for service.
Now, you have more choice.
1. Order it online and wait a few days without AC
2. Call for service

If its blazing hot, people tend to fall for #2.

Perhaps I should have put a smiley at the end of the statement in red above. I wasn't saying I agreed with the supposed rule, I was merely pointing out that a lot of items sold by these stores are installed by people that don't know exactly what they are doing. Meaning if it were safety (which I doubt) I could see some logic in it. I definitely don't want more regulations, I was simply asking if anyone had heard of this rule.

kwired

Electron manager
I think that homeowners should have the right to burn down their own house if they desire. Installing things improperly will either result in a major disaster or will get them back if they are trying to sell the house and it is pointed out that it is unsafe. The lucky ones die and leave the problem to their next of kin.

There are DIY guys out there that do a pretty good job. With electrical we have had some recent code changes the last few years that even some professionals have problems with but outside of that there are some guys that call themselves professionals that really don't know anymore than a DIY with a lot of experience.

I was involved with and done quite a bit of work myself on my own home from digging footings to installing trim and painting. I fully understand wanting to do the work, I also understand there are consequences for doing it wrong. They may not always be obvoius. I have also worked on my own vehicles before. I don't do so that much anymore, depends on the problem, and if I have what is needed to repair it, or to even diagnose the problem. Being able to work on your own car is even more debateable I think than installing things in your own house. If you put new brakes on a car yourself and do something wrong you are possibly jeopardizing others on the road yet we are allowed to do so.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I've seen enough DIY stuff in homes that make me want to puke. Sure, anyone wants to do it in their own home, have at it. Let the sucker burn along with the dog. Suprised it doesn't happen more often. I used to loose sleep over the unsuspecting family that proudly showed me their new used home. Now I just don't sleep much.

Let the sucker burn along with the dog.

As long is it's not on my block. I'd have Strong Opinions if the house next to mine went up because the HO didn't want to pay for a gasfitter.

Brings an interesting question: are people in the building trades, especially contractors, more or less likely to do half-ssed installations or repairs? We've all heard the "it's safe, but it's not code" argument (and probably made it once or twice).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Had a guy tell me that in a neighboring State, in particular the big box stores, that they weren't allowed to sell water heaters to anyone who wasn't a licensed or permitted electrician. I have seen a lot of HO or handyman installations that might make this a good idea but I have not heard of that. The box stores sell a lot of items that a HO shouldn't install unless qualified, I just wondered why just water heaters if this is true. Has anyone here heard of such a rule in any State?

I would be more likely to believe this if the title of this thread were Water Heaters Sold Only to Plumbers.

mtfallsmikey

Musings from the house plumber...

Musings from the house plumber...

Back in the day, you had to be a licensed plumber to even buy a toilet, or sink, or whatever...The wholesalers did not do retail or DIY sales. The recession of the late 70's/80's changed all of that. Everyone sold to everybody who had $$ during that time, and afterward. Now, no one wants the liability worries. HD/Blowe's in Va. will sell electric water heaters, but not gas, only will sell to you if you have their "installer" put them in.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I've heard the black market W/H cartels are embattled in bloody turf wars in some areas.

Roger

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
A friend who does lots of his own work said he could no longer buy HVAC parts from the local houses, was told it was now law in NC.

Sometimes I like such ideas but carry it out to its logical extension. It could reach the point where only carpenters can buy nails, only plumbers can buy drain cleaners, only electricians can buy wire, only farmers can buy fertilizer, only painters can buy paint, etc. Most people have to do some things they can't afford to hire out. Imagine the jobs they will do if they have to scavage materials from Lord knows where?

Big Brother is already much too big & this sort of thing only feeds his appetite.

If a supply house wants to restrict sales, that's their business. If the law wants to do it, refer to Big Brother rule again.

Status
Not open for further replies.