Whadda ya think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rattus

Regardless of how one mathematically defines 'in phase', I still think 'of the same phase' has different criteria. Even with 'in phase', I think it may behoove one to acknowledge that there are technical jargon meanings of words, and there are common knowledge or dictionary meanings of words.

Since 'phase' can be defined as (wt + phi0), two waves carry the same phase if their phase angles are equal. In that case, their crests will coincide, therefore the criteria are the same.

We are of course speaking of technical meanings.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Since 'phase' can be defined as (wt + phi0), two waves carry the same phase if their phase angles are equal. In that case, their crests will coincide, therefore the criteria are the same.

Which criteria are the same?

I agree that there is a mathematical definition of phase that is authoritative. I'm not sure I agree that when you add prepositions and qualifiers to create larger phrases that the meaning of such phrases remains authoritative, even in mathematics. You asked about 'in phase' and 'of the same phase', but you could just as easily have asked about 'belonging to a phase', or 'having a phase' or 'defining a phase', or 'relating to a phase' and so on ad infinitum. Do they all have the same criteria? I submit that the question is philosophical, not mathematical, and that it is furthermore a pretty useless branch of philosophy. :cool:

Further I would submit that in the electrical industry the meaning of 'phase' has relatively little to do with phase math. The difference between a three-phase and a single phase power source has to do with the number of wires involved, rather than the values of mathematical functions that describe alternating current.

We are of course speaking of technical meanings.

Which technical meanings? ;) My initial point in this thread is that in the electrical industry we have a technical use of 'phase' that is not reducible to the mathematical definition of phase. (We use it, more or less, to mean alternating-current power between two ungrounded conductors.) If you mean mathematical phase, then say mathematical.

rattus

Au Contraire:

Au Contraire:

Which criteria are the same?

I agree that there is a mathematical definition of phase that is authoritative. I'm not sure I agree that when you add prepositions and qualifiers to create larger phrases that the meaning of such phrases remains authoritative, even in mathematics. You asked about 'in phase' and 'of the same phase', but you could just as easily have asked about 'belonging to a phase', or 'having a phase' or 'defining a phase', or 'relating to a phase' and so on ad infinitum. Do they all have the same criteria? I submit that the question is philosophical, not mathematical, and that it is furthermore a pretty useless branch of philosophy. :cool:

Further I would submit that in the electrical industry the meaning of 'phase' has relatively little to do with phase math. The difference between a three-phase and a single phase power source has to do with the number of wires involved, rather than the values of mathematical functions that describe alternating current.

Which technical meanings? ;) My initial point in this thread is that in the electrical industry we have a technical use of 'phase' that is not reducible to the mathematical definition of phase. (We use it, more or less, to mean alternating-current power between two ungrounded conductors.) If you mean mathematical phase, then say mathematical.

On the contrary the addition of the prepositions identify the usage of the word quite well.

'In phase' means the crests of two or more sinusoids coincide.

'Of the same phase' means that the phase constants are equal.

I hold that if one set of criteria is met, the other set is met also. That's all.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
On the contrary the addition of the prepositions identify the usage of the word quite well.
To whom?

'In phase' means the crests of two or more sinusoids coincide.

'Of the same phase' means that the phase constants are equal.

I think these interpretations are your personal ones, not something one would find in math references. And I'm frankly not sure why they couldn't go the other way around.

rattus

To whom?

I think these interpretations are your personal ones, not something one would find in math references. And I'm frankly not sure why they couldn't go the other way around.

On the contrary, the first one came from,

[Tang, Alternating Current Circuits, International, 1960]

The second one was posted by rbalex in a thread now closed.

They are legit.

Status
Not open for further replies.