what a mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickboy1375

480sparky said:
Could be another brand, though. I've used similar fittings that don't look the same. I've seen one that has a small hole in the center, and four spokes going out from it. Couldn't tell you the brand, though.

This got me thinking, if we cant tell the difference how would an inspector?

mdshunk

stickboy1375 said:
I guess he'd have to look inside the box, and see if the connector has a "bottom" on it.

I made the mistake the other day, when working with MC and NM in the same building, of putting the connectors in the same compartment in my left hand bag. Oops. I had a 50/50 chance of pulling out the right connector, which seemed to come up wrong 90% of the time for some reason.

480sparky

stickboy1375 said:

Hopefully the inspector will either look in the box (should be looking for the red anti-short bushing as well), or see what material is being used on the job. A good inspector will take at look at the materials cart or similar. But it's well within his/her rights to open the box and look.

Steel City (T&B), I found out:

SCflexconnector.gif

mdshunk

480sparky said:
A good inspector will take at look at the materials cart or similar.
There was a point in time where we had to save coil tags off the MC cable for some reason for the inspector. I forget anymore exactly why that was. Fire rating, maybe?

480sparky

mdshunk said:
There was a point in time where we had to save coil tags off the MC cable for some reason for the inspector. I forget anymore exactly why that was. Fire rating, maybe?

Steel v. Aluminium, maybe?

pjg

stickboy1375 said:

he couldn't and didn't look too hard(if at all) at the entire job. That particular box is the box that has the paralled neutrals and looked just like that when we got to the job--no cover ,no ko seals ,no bushing,no lock nuts. It looks better now!

480sparky

pjg said:
he couldn't and didn't look too hard(if at all) at the entire job. That particular box is the box that has the paralled neutrals and looked just like that when we got to the job--no cover ,no ko seals ,no bushing,no lock nuts. It looks better now!

No 'after' photo? Shame on you! :grin:

walkerj

480sparky said:
Hopefully the inspector will either look in the box (should be looking for the red anti-short bushing as well), or see what material is being used on the job. A good inspector will take at look at the materials cart or similar. But it's well within his/her rights to open the box and look.

Steel City (T&B), I found out:

SCflexconnector.gif

Those are the ones I use! They make the change from residential to commercial much easier:D

mdshunk

walkerj said:
Those are the ones I use! They make the change from residential to commercial much easier:D
...and they're cheap too. I am starting (slowly) to use the one's with the spurs inside that you just slam the cut MC into.

walkerj

If you are talking about the snap-snaps, the only thing i dont like about them is they have a tendency to nic the wire during installation.

Also, they are a bear to get the cable out for whatever reason.

They definately speed up the process though!

mark32

The only "Snap in" connectors I like/use are the plastic romex ones. Back to the op's pics, I like the one with the flex in the nm old work box as well as the connector-less(?) mc in the last photo. Such a pitiful display of craftsmanship, I hope he's better at the trade he's normally employed in.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I see stuff like that all the time.

If you want to see scary, go work in an old steel mill, like Inland (now Mittal) Steel plant two just outside Gary, Indiana. It was common to see RMC tied up with rope, or split open and having the wiring inside holding up the pipe. It was also common to see black insulated wire used unmarked for grounds and neutrals. The break trailer I was in had a 100 amp panel and was fed from the building with a #10 extension cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.