what do you say to these comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KVA

"any monkey can run wire"

"that much? i can easily do it myself it's not hard"

"i can go down to home depot and ask the guy in the electrical department he will tell me"

"it's not hard to do their are many videos online that show you step by step"

my responses
1. yeah those monkies are good aren't they? I'm taking my truck to the grease monkey when i leave here.

2. why didn't you?

3. why didn't you?

4. why didn't you?

but seriously what would you say to these comments? I read these comments all over the internet from youtube to craigslist to general forums it's sad that electricians get no respect.

KVA

I say "Next"

yeah that's what I usually say but it's "why didn't you then" as i'm walking out the door.

I said that to a guy months ago that called me and said "for that price i could have knocked on my neighbors door he is an electrician". Shook his hand and smiled and said why didn't you then and walked right out:thumbsup:

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
After a while, you kinda develop a sixth sense about customers like that. Then you avoid them before they can even make a comment like that.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Lyrics to a Kenny Rogers song come to mind - "You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run" !!!

If you're unlucky enough to get a job with a customer like that, your problems have just begun.

gndrod

ouch

ouch

"any monkey can run wire"

"that much? i can easily do it myself it's not hard"

"i can go down to home depot and ask the guy in the electrical department he will tell me"

"it's not hard to do their are many videos online that show you step by step"

my responses
1. yeah those monkies are good aren't they? I'm taking my truck to the grease monkey when i leave here.

2. why didn't you?

3. why didn't you?

4. why didn't you?

but seriously what would you say to these comments? I read these comments all over the internet from youtube to craigslist to general forums it's sad that electricians get no respect.

I am sorry...this is funny, about the monkeys...they are smarter than the client. It hurts trying not to laugh just after surgery.

rt66electric

what do you do for living ??

what do you do for living ??

You can be your own lawyer..

you can be your own doctor.

I can do my own mudding and taping.

I can do my own oil change.

I can do my own lawncare.

I can make your wife happy...... BUT

...I prefer to pay someone else to do it for me.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Oh i forgot another one they say "I don't even make that much an hour" :happyno:

My favorite story I heard, not sure if it was here or during a code refresher course, was like so:

A doctor calls an electrician to fix a problem he's having. The electrician shows up, fixes the problem within an hour and hands the doctor a bill for $225.

The doctor looks at the bill and says, "$225 for an hours worth of work? I don't even make that much per hour."

The electrician says, "I know, that's why I quit medical school and became an electrician."

Besoeker

My favorite story I heard, not sure if it was here or during a code refresher course, was like so:

A doctor calls an electrician to fix a problem he's having. The electrician shows up, fixes the problem within an hour and hands the doctor a bill for $225.

The doctor looks at the bill and says, "$225 for an hours worth of work? I don't even make that much per hour."

The electrician says, "I know, that's why I quit medical school and became an electrician."
Reminds me of a story I heard about a motor consultant.

A big DC motor was sparking around the commutator and various attempts had been made to fix it but, to no avail.

The consultant was called in, spent about an hour investigating, and made a chalk mark on the motor.
"Remove one turn from this interpole."
That was done and the motor ran sweetly thereafter.

The consultant sent his bill in. It was ?5,000.
The customer was a bit surprised.
"It's a lot of money. Could you break it down?"
"Certainly."
The revised bill was:

To making one chalk mark................?5
To knowing where to put it........?4,995

iwire

Staff member

Seriously who cares what is said at those places, read almost any YouTube comments and you quickly realize it is the play ground of the idiots.

jumper

Reminds me of a story I heard about a motor consultant.

A big DC motor was sparking around the commutator and various attempts had been made to fix it but, to no avail.

The consultant was called in, spent about an hour investigating, and made a chalk mark on the motor.
"Remove one turn from this interpole."
That was done and the motor ran sweetly thereafter.

The consultant sent his bill in. It was ?5,000.
The customer was a bit surprised.
"It's a lot of money. Could you break it down?"
"Certainly."
The revised bill was:

To making one chalk mark................?5
To knowing where to put it........?4,995

LOL.:thumbsup:

I had a HVAC guy do pretty much the same thing once.

ritelec

and most recently:

With all do respect to the inspectors in the house.

But......

"The inspector said it would cost $$"

"but the carpenter charged $$"

:blink:

renosteinke

This ought to be old-hat by now ... but then, I got my 'business school' in brothels and mini-marts. Both fields regularly hear "why so much more then elsewhere?"

The answer starts off with "these are our prices, and you are free to go elsewhere, no hard feelings." The conversation might progress into discussing things like convenience, brand names, and quality. Usually not.

My mentor used to go ballistic whenever someone said "it's not rocket science." He - a 23-yr navy vet - would explode, saying: "Have you ever seen the inside of a rocket? Well, I have. Before they put the wires in there, rockets were nothing but Chinese party favors. Only with the advent of electricity are we able to go to the moon. It IS rocket science!"

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Tell the customer that if they are looking for cheap, you're not the person for the job.

In order to be the cheapest, you have to use the cheapest materials, the cheapest help, the cheapest tools and drive the cheapest vehicle and there won't be any money left for clean-up or errors.

If that is what the customer wants, refer them elsewhere, but make them realize that a cheap price means a cheap job, from start to finish......if it gets finished before the electrician runs out of money.

growler

Oh i forgot another one they say "I don't even make that much an hour" :happyno:

Most people have no idea what it cost for them to be on the job. How much they make an hour and how much they cost an hour can be very different.

If they say they don't make that much an hour then I ask if they run a business and how much they charge. If they run a business they will understand. If they are employees they may never understand. :cry:

RICK NAPIER

True story: When I was young I was replacing a couple 200 amp service panels. The client walks up and watches for a few minutes than says "I don't know how you keep those wires straight and know where they all go." I turned and said "But your a neurosurgeon."

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I've listened in on Home Depot clerks selling people greenfield whips for outdoor AC units and stepped in to remind them it's not approved for outdoor use. "Oh yea, that's right" is the reply, as they move down to Carlon whips.

I've repaired & reburied underground ckts buried 2 inches deep, bare cable. "The guy at HD said just bury it so it's covered with dirt". Fine until they forgot it was there & chopped it up with a garden spade.

I have reworked charred & burned wire/outlets that a BIL connected to a range outlet with 14/2.

I have reworked 3 way switches installed by a neighbor that would turn on 1 light while turning off another. SP switches that controlled 3 other rooms, in series with their own switches.

I have reworked switches that energized metal switch plates.

I have reworked a junction box that energized a kitchen sink. Homeowner didn't understand why instructions with appliance were not clearer. I kindly told her the mfr had to assume at least minimal knowledge by installer.

I have reworked open splices in crawl spaces, over mud puddles, with keyless or pull chain light socket hanging open.

I've also heard "I don't know if I can afford that work. The new Jennair range cost me 3,500 and that took all the $ I had". I replied, "do as I do and get a $300 range that plugs into the outlet you already have."

Also,

"The TV cost me $600. Are you telling me I have to pay $300 to get power to it and have it mounted on the wall? I could have gotten a $300 TV and kept it on the table". I reply "that's what I have".

"The ceiling fan was only $75.00. How can it cost $100 to install it?" I reply "because it takes work to install it and I have to install a new box or get supports to structure."

I don't mind all the questions from a little old lady, living in a modest shack who never had much. I get truly irritated when the person drives much nicer vehicles that I, dresses better, has toys of every nature. My truck is a 2000 model, my wife's van is a 2005. We shop at thrift stores for the kids and sometimes for ourselves. Our house needs work we can't afford, we do without a lot of stuff. Seldom take any real vacations any more. That's OK, hard times come & go for all of us. But I won't be beaten down by someone who freely spends when he wants to, then pleads poverty with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.