What is needed to get a nj electric license

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The state recently changed the requirement making graduation from a 4 year apprenticeship required to sit for the exam.

The last two years I've been working for a school district. The year before that I was off the books working with my friend and the 15 to 18 years before that I was doing electrical work with contractors bouncing from contractor to contractor. I never really stayed at a job over a year Do you think it's going to be really hard for me to get the license now

Ken_S

Occupation
Electrician
The last two years I've been working for a school district. The year before that I was off the books working with my friend and the 15 to 18 years before that I was doing electrical work with contractors bouncing from contractor to contractor. I never really stayed at a job over a year Do you think it's going to be really hard for me to get the license now
You have plenty of experience, but you're going to need to satisfy the apprenticeship portion. A contractor can sign off that you've aquired previous apprenticeship credit, but you're going to need to find someone willing to hire you and do that, and you're going to need to complete the schooling portion.

Ken_S

Occupation
Electrician
I would suggest contacting the contractors board to verify with them, then reach out to a local vocational school and speak with the local apprenticeship coordinator.

I feel like I might messed up jumping from one job to the next. I can't even remember half of these companies that I worked with or how long or when

Ken_S

Occupation
Electrician
They lose your paperwork, anything to slow down the process. Been there, done that. You know why.
I've got news for you, they lose paperwork for NJ residents all the time. It's not because you're from out of town, it's because it's another understaffed government agency.

They even lose paperwork for individuals applying for CEU class approval.

I called the NJ contractors board and basically had no answers for me. They told me to submit an application. The problem I might run into or I'm pretty sure I will run into is that I worked for so many different companies for a few months to 6 months at a time I never stayed a long time. They wouldn't even answer the question of how long do you have to work for one contractor for The time to count towards my hours

Ken_S

Occupation
Electrician
I called the NJ contractors board and basically had no answers for me. They told me to submit an application. The problem I might run into or I'm pretty sure I will run into is that I worked for so many different companies for a few months to 6 months at a time I never stayed a long time. They wouldn't even answer the question of how long do you have to work for one contractor for The time to count towards my hours
There are forms that your employers need to sign and notarize as a certification of your employment with them. There are other options, but I don't recall what they are.
The application paperwork should provide some information

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Did they mention the 4 year apprenticeship requirement? From what I've been told without that you're dead in the water. You might as well enroll in an approved program now and keep track of your experience from this point forward.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
I feel like I might messed up jumping from one job to the next. I can't even remember half of these companies that I worked with or how long or when
You may have to settle down with one job for more than a year! Every job has something that you don't like. You have to decide if the good outweighs the bad!