What is your Favorite speciality electrical tool/gadget

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
They will realize his value when he's gone. From what I gather I agree 100%

For new Forum members, this is Al. Indispensable IMO. Guys got mad skills.

DSCN0388.jpg

Lifeskillsunderground12-5009.jpg

HighhattrimAl003.jpg

sd4524

My Bosch 10.8 volt drill for doing trim out.
Dewalt 18v impact drill for driving self- tapping screws. I can't see how I used to do self tappers with hammerdrill before. These aren't really gadgets i guess.

knoppdude

I would have to say that I use my Fluke t5-1000 more than any other tool. With a little thought, it can be used to gather alot of information for trouble shooting. I use this thing many times every day at work, and it is my most used specialty tool, if it can be classified as such. There are others that are close seconds, such as my Knopp solenoid tester that will not pick up induced voltages, but it lacks the versatility and extra functions of the t5.

jeremysterling

circuit breaker finder

circuit breaker finder

I can't believe I worked in the trade this long before I ponied up ~$35 for the Ideal brand (live) circuit finder. No, it does not do 277V, but it has created great emotion in me to find a circuit in a big store like WalMart and turn the circuit off versus working it hot. I've been doing it hot for way too long.

In the last couple of years, I have been fortunate to pick up a nice assortment of cordless tools, (2) 1/2 to 2 ratchet KO sets, ratchet cutter, rotatable die up to 4/0 crimper, Harbor Freight hammerdrill, (2) ampclamps, and (most recently) the economy Extech megger.

But the little circuit breaker finder wins my heart. The customers are usually impressed too.

hurk27

Well I have a few favorites, but my Greenlee Wire finder is my up most favorite, I would be lost without it, allows me to practically walk up to a bad receptacle on the first try.:grin:

heres the one I have:
2011 greenlee wire tracer

It doesn't say in this page but it does hot circuits up to 600 volts AC/DC
Not saying it is the best one, but it is the one I'm used to using, but a little pricey

Last edited:

nhfire77

I do agree, I love my ten-in-one. Ever since lowes started to sell them for only $8, it's been easier on me when I lose one of the bits.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
My DeWalt ground rod driver. I'll never use a sledge hammer again. The only way this thing doesn't work is to be on solid rock. It drives through the hardest clay soils you can imagine. Most of the region here is red clay and rock. Even big beefy guys have a hard time with sledge hammers.

I have chain pliers that are great for chandelier chains, specially heavier ones. Use tips to open the chain, throat notches to close.

A co. I use to work for has a laser plumb bob. Nothing but nice. I'll get 1 of them 1 day. Quick work of marking beams for hangers.

I've seen laser levels, haven't used them yet. Look good for conduit spans across large areas. I use to do lots of work in a plant nearby. Lots of rooms full of eqpmt, odd walls, hard to measure anything. To shoot a beam would have been great. Someone could drill walls ahead of conduit crew.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
For new Forum members, this is Al. Indispensable IMO. Guys got mad skills.

th_DSCN0388.jpg
th_Lifeskillsunderground12-5009.jpg
th_HighhattrimAl003.jpg
A good man in the field is worth his weight in gold. He keeps the work moving. Good people in the office/warehouse, etc. keep the materials and help flowing to him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.